Increase Laptop Resolution Above Native

Hi Gang,

There is something that I have always wanted to do, but I've been spending too much time trying to figure it out. I hope someone here can help.

I'm trying to increase the resolution above native on my laptop that uses an Intel chipset, paired with a dedicated NVidia 660m

BEFORE YOU TELL ME - that it's impossible. That I only have so many physical dots on my panel, just be aware that this fact has not failed to escape me. I have been able to increase the resolution on my really old laptop from 900p to 1440p without issue. I have also been able to upscale my desktop from 1440p to 4k 60hz and 5k 30hz. BOTH just by using the NVidia graphics control panel.

The thing is, both of those computers did not have an Intel chipset that switched back and fourth like laptops do now. Does anyone know a way to make this happen with this kind of setup? Or is there a different reason why I can't upscale these kind of laptops?

I feel your pain, I'm one of those people that uses their 5" Android on 160DPI.

I've looked into this many many times, and the farthest I ever got was forcing an external monitor to a "non supported" resolution (Intel GMA only and modded drivers though, still couldn't change the laptop panel's res).

On the off chance that there is some crazy method to get this to work be aware that it will effect your battery usage and iGPU usage, not to mention that it WILL LOOK HORRIBLE. If you force 4k to a 1080 display you are literally unable to see 3/4 of the information your GPU is pushing out.

If you want to fit more on your screen have a look at Linux, it's a lot more forgiving and enabling when you're trying to do strange things.

1 Like

That's called downscaling not upscaling.

Upscaling is when you take a small image and make it bigger. In your case , you're taking a large resolution and making it smaller to fit on a low resolution screen. I can't imagine why you'd want to do this perhaps you could enlighten us?

You might have answered your own question , at any given point the intel gpu will be in charge of the 2d graphics on the screen and depending on the driver the nvidia gpu would only be needed for 3d accelerated programs.

1 Like

Certain programs don't allow what they display to be arranged how I like on a small resolution. I run my netbook at a higher resolution so a can show more in my screen in a particular program, due to minimum constraints of the program.
Intel chipset, is documented online there is registry mod to allow higher res on this chipset.

Doesn't help in this instance though in all likelihood.

1 Like

if you want a higher resolution you need a cable interface that can handel it. most new laptops use an internal display port(edp), older 1080p+ screens need a 40pin Lvds Cable. smaller resolution screens use smaller cables namely 14pin, 20pin, and 30pin.

1 Like

Changing. And real estate is the reason. I know it won't look sharp, but I can do it on anything that runs nvidia and amd (laptops and desktops alike) unless it runs alongside an intel chipset. Not really sure how I answered my own question though. That's how I presented the problem. Hoping someone might have a solution that works in this seemingly limited configuration

Anything above native would be fine. 1080p really isn't that much bandwidth though. And I was able to do this on a 2007 hp laptop from 900p to 1440p easy. I don't think the bandwidth of the connection should be relevant. It was relevant when I was doing this to my desktop monitor from 1440p to 5k. I had to lower the refresh rate to 30hz to make it work over the DVI-D connection

Registry mod for intel chipset? Sounds like a step in the right direction :D

I will be taking the plunge into Linux soon. It sounds like the waters are fine.

Keep in mind that 4k is not the minimum goal (dream goal... perhaps). But anything above native would be great! Just so I know I can do it.

most dvi cable has thick wire with the pins for 2x hdmi and vga connections to take advantage of. even just a hdmi cable by it self is at-least 10 times thicker then a lvds cable.

the reason you were able to use 1440p on you old laptop was because HP likely designed that laptop with higher resolution screen options in mind. I know this because on my 2013 lenovo that has a 1360x768 screen if I try to push it higher it gives me a "bandwidth exceded message".

that said if increasing your resolution can be done then you can do it by overriding your monitors edid table. which normally requires using a software like entech "Monitor Asset Manager" to create a custom driver.

Since you have a Nvidia GPU, your nvidia drivers "Should" allow you to create a super resolution/sampling, forgot how to exactly, but it's fairly easy at least if you're running windows, just google nvidia dynamic super sampling or something like that.
Albeit why? 1440p ain't a bad resolution, imo the optimal resolution is either 1080, or 1440p
Windows and 4k support is just horrible, a lot of programs just does'nt support it, and you'll be biting your lips every time you run into a program which shows font a 1/4th of it's actual side, it's horrible, and unreadble.
worst i ever tried was some Dell 15xps or what not where they decided to put 4k resolution on a 13 inch screen, and when ever i had to use a program which didn't properly support 4k i had to deal with 1 pixel wide borders, and font so small it was pretty much unreadable.