Inbox.exe 0045: Can We Support AMD While Buying Nvidia? | Tek Syndicate

We should all buy AMD but Intel and Nvidia are crushing it. I want competition. If AMD dies we will have a monster companies

1 Like

I agree with your synopsis and especially the FTC would not allow the samsung/amd marriage, however, recalling my analogy of war and history, I am fairly confident that samsung corp will buy a specific amount of public shares to balance the stock base and help AMD pay off some debt. This particular scenario happens all the time. SPECULATION ALERT!! = Samsung will set up a shell corp and use its ability to purchase the rest of the stock it would need to have majority stock. I not sure if the phone calls have been made but if you recall, Zen was announced then at show and tell we were informed it would be delayed, then in the mean time somebody started buying up stock and the Nvidia/Samsung legal fight was back at the front door again. Think of the 3D chess game that Spock played on Star Trek

So Samsung is the sith lord ?

Similar to how Alibaba breached the US market, I recall. It's definitely a thought provoking speculation. Though the question becomes which branch of Samsung would be pushing for it. AMD almost had an injection of cash a few months ago in the summer, but they had the detail fall through with the investment firm. Not sure which party was at fault for that, but that didn't help them. If Samsung set up such a company here and began the take-over AMD, they'd be -huge-. I mean--on the NASDAQ seeing, "AMD, A Samsung Company" or something like that. It'd definitely scare the crap out of Intel and nVidia with those types of resources and exclusivity. Samsung memory, the manufacturing processes, and capability. Hopefully they do something soon. The AMD debt call is in around 2018-2019. If not them--the Intel and nVidia condor fight is likely. Zen is due at the earliest 2016 Q4 or 2017 Q1, so hopefully they can keep themselves alive long enough for a Samsung take-over, if they did make a shell corp or for Xilinx to take them over. That'd be something.

1 Like

Or maybe we can dream and if Apple takes over Tesla, and makes Elon Musk the CEO, he can buy AMD, and we can all rejoice.

Thats one way to look at it. Reality check = we live in duality not singularity. Sometimes the Enemy of my enemy is my friend is the truth of it

Yes, Alibaba is a good example. It shows that it can be done by process. Investment Firms can not fix what is essentially wrong with AMD for two reasons. Investment Firms generally do not have persons capable of understanding the investment let alone become functional operators of the business they invest in. Investment Firms tend to be a "throw money at the problem" solution when it involves non-start ups. AMD has a core problem that I am fairly sure does not involve money. Granted, having the extra cash to build infrastructure that can build the part you need to build is essential, however by example, the repeated mistake at this time is investing in last years manufacturing, an obvious management flaw. I should be careful here as I am speculating about the internals of AMD command structure, but honestly the proof is in the results.

I find it hard to believe Mr. Musk would let Apple fondle his stuff. He might tip his hat but thats about it. However, with the success of SpaceX, having AMD in your resource portfolio would be a definite plus.

The problem with AMD is both marketing, and money. The money aspect being the debt they still hold from the ATI acquisition and being in the red profit wise for the last few years. Money would definitely, deeply, and assuredly help. AMD also has the issue where they no longer own their own fabrication and semi-conductor plants.

As for Elon - I am sure he'd never let Apple take Tesla unless he was at the reigns of both, and speculation as of recent weeks is that Apple may just try to purchase Tesla 'n put Elon at the top - if that happened, boy would it be something. He's not Cook, he's an actual innovator and visionary. Efficient and intelligent. He's like Steve Jobs, but without the evil and anger - got that South African charm. Apple+Musk + AMD would be huge as well. Taking control of AMD and utilizing the CPU and GPU technology as well as SOC potential for cars, and all Apple ecosystem devices. That'd be enough to make Intel and nVidia sweat, not to mention everyone else in the industry.

I agree, marketing and money. The purchase of ATI was a strategy and ended up looking more like a knee jerk reaction than a well thought out long term strategy. Truth of statement is, yes they are STILL holding ATI debt. At this stage of the game, that debt should have been purged from the books. Old rule applies, you can not buy yourself out of debt. I give them a partial pass because there a dynamics in this market that not even the CRAY could calculate, so therefore I would call it a "good initiative, poor judgement".

Elon is a very innovative thinker, but what is unique about him is that he appears to be able to calm his mind and stay focused no matter how chaotic his surrounding. Elon probably understands that having control at any level of what goes in his products is a benefit. Therefore, following your thought process, I could at a certain point getting involved in AMD, or at least owning enough of it that he can get what he needs when he wants it.

It had to be asked!

Qain Hates Them: Learn This One Weird Trick

uhm... there are two Inbox.exe 0045 episodes....

yeah folks have discussed the numbering a few times. Don't worry about it. It makes things more interesting.