In Search Of A Great Set Of Wireless Earbuds - Anyone Have Any Suggestions Or Recommendations?

They’re a pretty solid brand. My first experience with them was office teleconferencing products. Things like the telecomm units in meeting rooms, the wired and wireless headsets for office desk phones, the phones themselves, etc…

I’ve found them to be very good quality and reliable in the office space. Always seen them as the “just what you need, none of the stupidity” sort of brands.

Danish company, if that means anything to you.

1 Like

Well, that’s pretty much what I figured. Also, I did state the preferred price range to be USD, NOT Euros earlier in the post. But yeah, if you remember or whatever, feel free to let me know! :+1: [I will most likely comment on this post an hour or so later if anyone else has anything else to add or say. Got a few small errands to do.]

The Elite 7 Pros are $199 on Jabra’s site, I don’t remember the others. I think I got my Elite 7 Active’s for $140 on sale. (IIRC, MSRP is a bit lower than the Pros)

The ones I mentioned are Astell & Kern UW100

Decided to edit the comment once again. While these do actually look kinda stylish & all that, $300 for a pair of wireless earbuds is a little too much for me. :grimacing: Still, I appreciate the suggestion though! :+1: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You should also consider the source of your audio, it doesn’t make much sense to go “studio grade” headphones/in-ear/* if your source is going to be some let’s say streams off Youtube and Twitch etc. I’m not saying that the cheapest ones you’ll find would be a great match but there isn’t really much of a point going audiophile++ specially if you’re going to be in noisy environments (trains, walking etc) despite using NC. Also worth keeping mind that they’re probably going to be more or less useless after 2-3 years due to the battery which also is a reason why I wouldn’t spend too much on these types of headphones. This is why I personally prefer using a bluetooth adapter such as HiBy W3 saber as most headphones will by far last longer than a rechargeable battery.

Audio-Technica ATH-CKS50TW (~150$) is about what I would spend on a pair of “disposable” headphones tops.

1 Like

I checked the Audio-Technicas out & they don’t look too bad, but they’re not perfect though. :confused: But hey, at least I received another suggestion/recommendation!

Anyway, after further digging & looking up some reviews here & there, I feel like the JBLs are probably the ones I want. But are there any owners out there who can say whether or not these have a “balanced sound” or not? :thinking: I mean, I know you can tweak the EQ in the app if you’re so picky or whatever, but I just would like some feedback if any of you have something to say! :+1:

I got some AKG (Harmon) N400NC TWS because I dropped one of my wired buds in my coffee (1st cup w milk n sugar). It wasnt terrible as I only use one bud when riding to keep awareness of my surroundings anyway but the other bud was shot.

The AKGs fit well and stay in my head but just dont have the volume and wont work w only 1 bud. They have their hands-free uses but Im thinking they are as good as a bt bud system can be.

I went and got some cheap JBL wired buds recently and I have to back the vol down to 50-75% on them. I feel you are looking for the best sound out of the worst transfer system going w wireless bt. I think you know that already.

Bluetooth itself doesn’t necessarily need to be terrible when it comes to audio but far from everything supports (and actually negotiates) lets say LHDC, LDAC or aptX HD despite supporting Bluetooth 5.X

1 Like

I disagree. As @diizzy points out, BT isn’t really bad for audio. Besides, there’s nothing wrong with going wireless like I want to; I just don’t like cables & wires getting in my way & getting tangled! [Also, in case anyone here noticed my comment above but didn’t scroll all the way to the top, the set of JBL earbuds I’m considering are the JBL Live free 2 TWS. And like I said, I’m just curious to know if they sound “balanced” out of the box or not.]

1 Like

Aside from the possibility of wireless quality issues if device and earbuds do not have a compatible lossless or low-latency codec—what is the situation with Bluetooth security-wise?

Most Bluetooth devices no longer have a PIN pairing process, even when there is a feasible way of inputting a PIN on the device. Is Bluetooth providing any reasonable security at all, or in most cases is the assumption that anything you hear or say might as well be through a loudspeaker for a potential eavesdropper?

I remember the paper on the Bluetooth KNOB attack, for example, listed the W1 chip in the AirPods as the only one examined that required more than one byte of entropy; even then,

Seven bytes of entropy are better than one, but not enough to prevent brute force attacks.

@jennings92 You might have no need for security in your use case, but I think this would still be worth bringing up for anyone else using this thread to advise purchasing decisions.

Well, TBH, the security side of things doesn’t really concern me even IF I will use whichever earbuds I wish to use with my pc from time to time. But then again, if you ARE someone who is concerned about security as a whole, I heard that Windows 11 version 22H2 will actually automatically block brute force attacks by default.

Well. 8kHz bandwidth is all you need to transport human speech in a way the other side can understand clearly.
The problem with wireless consumer anything is the bidirectional bit. When you use BT-headsets that transmit and receive at the same time, effective datarate goes out the window.

If negotiation fails (or no compatible codec is anounced), you run default codec (SBC with 330-ish kilo bit per second), so best case, just above MP3s at maximum quality, which is fine.
Security is like a sieve, especially since pairing-prompts are somehow becoming a thing of the past.

Win10 and 11 will also randomly change the MAC address of their host system, running what boils down to a DOS or bruteforce attack on networks :upside_down_face:

The equivalent of ethernet MAC randomisation is done for Bluetooth? Would that not break pairing each time the Bluetooth-MAC-equivalent changes?

If you are referring to only Ethernet MAC, then the ARP request usually has a limited lifetime, and the router should be free to forget the previous MAC. I do not see how that could cause any more logging than usually — unless you are separately tracking every new MAC you see for some sort of invasive analytics, in which case you deserve to run out of memory.

Speaking of this, has there been any news about increasing BT bandwith with new BT versions so that we can get good bi-directional streams? I am so tired of the audio quality going to shit when using a mic built into the headphones. It’s my biggest gripe with BT sets.

1 Like

The only issues I’ve had with AirPods on windows is when Microsoft completely ass fucked the Bluetooth stack (which also broke my Xbox series X controller Bluetooth for 2 months) in early 2022.

Other than that they’ve been fine

I can vouch for these, I’ve got a pair of them and I quite like them. Got them on sale for $150 at Best Buy and the wireless charging on the case has been nice too.

1 Like

This is perfectly true for phone conversations, but music and dynamic videos will sound like dog poo. “Call Center” quality headsets will use mid-freq’s and be perfect for Zoom / Teams / Chat voice conversations, but music is horrible with no high end or bass. These headsets are (roughly) around 100Hz-6.8KHz. 10Hz - 20KHz will give you a decent music experience.

Examination of the frequency range of any audio gear you are looking to buy is very important to avoid a rake to the face moment. Knowing the benefits and down sides of DECT / Bluetooth / etc. will save you a lot of frustration.

I like my Sony WF-1000XM3, they are a little big though.
I would probably upgrade to the M4 because they get good reviews and they are a bit smaller

Fair opinion & everyone will have their own tastes/preferences. I actually tried them & found them to be too bad. The only deal-breakers for me are: The clamping force could be a bit more relaxed, & if you’re in a room that isn’t very insulated like mine is, your ears are GOING to get warm. :unamused:

[TBH, I have thought of finding myself a better pair of regular headphones, but for now, I’m currently laser-focused on finding a good set of wireless earbuds once I have my own smartphone.]