In search for NAS

Hello guys and girls! I am in search for a 2-bay NAS that would support my (small) work office (about 3-4 PCs) with about 8TB at least capacity. The things I am trying to achieve from this are:

• Folder synchronization between specific folders of work PCs and NAS. Also accessing those folders/files outside from LAN, via Internet, when I am out of work.
  • Secure ways of file access through Internet
  • 24/7 use without interruptions and problems (at least due to the NAS part)
  • iOS app in order to access NAS-stored files from my mobile, mostly to view/edit OFFICE & PDF files.

That's all I think about it, but before you start participating in the conversation about my NAS search, I would like to state that due to the fact that I am a EU resident (and the fact that I can check the local stores availability and VFM prices) I am in need of your opinions about those following NAS products, along with your own recommendations on mostly entry-level low-budget products.

I am currently between those:

Thanks in advance for your help!

I haven't heard the best things about the WD my could series always. I would recommend a 2x8TB mirrowed drive configuration if your going to keep it to two drive and 8TB usable. Also, would you consider building a nas? A lot of these cheaper, prebuilt solutions really are not built with the needs in mind of small business. They're okay for things like home backup and such, but I don't think they're really recommendable for small office use.

Here is NAS ....

http://www.nasirjones.com/

the my cloud gets good reviews.

also people like to buy the 16tb version and salvage the drives since aparently its cheaper to buy a 16TB nas than 2x 8TB reds.....

Thanks for your opinions guys.

To be honest with you I already own a spare WD Purple 4TB and I am considering buying a second one in order to create a RAID-1. The thing is I don't need more than 4TB of usable space, since I mostly save OFFICE files, PDF's and pictures (printer scans). I know Purple is not ideal for NAS (versus the RED series), but do you think placing Purple to the NAS its something I shouldn't proceed doing, or it doesn't matter so much?

Due to lack of much spare time, I don't want to create a custom-based NAS solution, one that I have to worry about maintenance and stability stuff.

The order of the product list that I mentioned in my first post is price ascending, so the last (Synology) costs the most.

The only thing that troubles me is security-wise remote access of files from my iPhone/home computer.
Synology, provides many ways of doing that. For example, via QuickConnect*, FTP (FTPS), WebDAV (HTTPS), with optional DDNS configuration.

Which do you trust and suggest the most?

*QuickConnect is a solution that helps client applications (such as DS file, Cloud Station utilities, DS audio, etc.) connect to your Synology NAS via the Internet without setting up port forwarding rules.

I've heard that some people had issues saturating a gigabit connection with some models if I'm not mistaken.

Is there anyone experienced with Synology NAS products? Because I am trying to find secure ways to connect to the NAS through Internet (with 24/7 availability - not a one time issue) and except the part that you setup a VPN, I found appealing the QuickConnect way.

But how exactly does it work? Is it p2p? Because it states here that you don't have to enable port forwarding, so the NAS ports aren't exposed to the Internet, right?

It also states that you enter an address like that one: https://Quickconnect.to/YourID and you got access to your files. So is it truly more secure than opening ports and expose them to the WAN, along with a DDNS account, or am I got it wrong?

I have used a hand full of Synology systems. They are solid and their support is great. Depending on load you might want to look at a DS216+II or even a DS716+II. The 216 gives you a much better processor and AES support. Same for the 716 and add more processor yet and dual ethernet ports. That and both of these models support BTRFS as well.

The 216j will start to fall down a bit if it is being heavily utilized. It is really meant has a simple home unit. I have a DS416j here at home though and it does all I need.

I have the 216j and I really like it.

More or less yeah its that simple.

You can host a VPN on the 216j though I've never done it that way. The quickconnect works just fine for most stuff.

Basically it phones home to synology and opens the port with NAT. You log in to its web interface via that and boom, you're in. The only thing I dont like about this method is you have to use the web based interface, its not like FTP or a file share. If you want that you'll want to set up the VPN on it and map shares or something of the sort.

One thing to note about the synology is it can be a bit overwhelming at first when you get one. The web interface is like using a new desktop OS. Its very robust in its capabilities though and once you figure it out you realize why they cost more than their equivalents.