In need of advice regarding a Blade with 8124m's

Hi Everyone!

My company and i are looking to expand our cpu rendering power.
We have a small airconditioned professional dedicated server room for our servers such as render servers.

For this project we have bought 8 of the Intel Xeon Platinum 8124m cpu’s with the plan of installing them into this asrock rack barebone.
Model = 2U4N-F/C621-M3
(It is an 2u 4 blade server, would have posted a link to asrock racks site, but i am not allowed)

I have had some talks with asrock rack sales, and mentioned that other users have had these cpu’s running on a similar asrock rack board (EP2C621D16-4LP) and they tell me that they suggest to use a cpu under TDP of 150 watt in this system.

Message from asrock rack:

I suppose that some users tested this by themselves. However, this is a barebone solution, we need to consider the airflow and fan/heatsink condition and barebone space.

For 2U4N-F/C621-M3, we suggest to use CPU under TDP 150Watt in this system.

SRD1Y cpu TDP 240w is higher than our thermal conditions.

Even though we will be using these servers for longer render sessions, should we really be concerned with the thermals of this config ?
As said we have an thermally controlled server room, so the aimbient air is gonna be very cool.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Who knows how ASrock did the thermal validation for their equipment but I doubt they chose the 150 watt TDP recommendation at random. Going over the tdp rating for the blade by nearly 100 watts sounds like asking for trouble.

Modern CPUs are pretty good at avoiding heat stroke, and will likely throttle or just shut down, rather than self destruct. Greatly exceeded the rated cooling capacity likely means you won’t see full performance from your CPU.

Having the air in the room be a little cooler doesn’t make much difference. Think about it, if the cpu die is 90-100C, air moving over the heatsink being 15C or 25C isn’t a huge difference.

It sounds like you bought everything already, so it’s time to experiment!

1 Like

I would trust the vendor as they know whats best. You can try it but I would expect it to fail early compared to normal use. If it boots up It will probably work for a bit but being a render farm running 24/7 probably at close to full tilt. I wouldn’t hope for a long life, the cpu not being on the supported list might void the warranty too

The supported CPU list is only up to 165w so might be a bit of a stretch for 240w

Hi, thanks for you reply.
Only the CPU’s have been ordered so far, so i am looking into a plan b atm, for something to fit 8 8124m’s in :slight_smile:

Maybe something like the R181-340 from Gigabyte, isnt this also what @wendell use in his video about the 8124m ?

According to supermicro
So might be a bit hard, to find something that goes up that high

Wendell was using that R181-340 with that chip tho so it will work but cooling might be fun with render farm usage.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.