Image freeze and buttons and keys not working, but cursor is movable after installing Arc A380 drivers

I got the ASRock Challenger ITX Intel Arc A380 to replace my RTX 2060. I used DDU with Internet disabled to remove the Nvidia drivers and then shut down, swapped to the A380. With all three monitors connected (2xDP, 1xHDMI).

I got just flickering kind of. Had to kill the PC, disconnected all but the main display, the Samsung Odyssey G7 27", which is weird with things connecting and disconnecting, and got the same issue as before. Tried only the HDMI monitor, and still the same. Then only the other DisplayPort monitor, an AOC Q2577W, which worked.

I installed the latest driver (all the software that came in the driver), the gfx_win_101.4369.exe, restarted, and for a bit it was ok, then the image froze, but I could still move the cursor, but no buttons or keys worked, and the Start button or shortcuts in the Taskbar was not responding to the cursor hovering over them, so I had to kill the PC again.

Used DDU again to remove the drivers and software. The assistant thing didn’t get uninstalled though. I tried again with just the driver, no control center, and the same result, so I gave up and used DDU to remove it, then installed the RTX 2060 and then I managed to uninstall the assistant thing too.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Oh, the system is a Threadripper 2950X with 8x8GB RAM not meant for gaming, but streaming and editing, so not sure if Smart Access Memory or ReBar is a thing I need to think about, but I found nothing like it to turn on in the BIOS, which is fully updated (Gigabyte X399 Aorus Pro).

I have the same problem but when i turn off or unplug and plug back the cable stop frezing for 1 second idk what to do

Exact same issue. I was about to start a RMA from ASRock thinking mine was just malfunctioning but I’m glad I found this post and at least two other people experiencing the same thing. I noticed this doesn’t happen when running Ubuntu on the same system but I cannot get AV1/OBS to fully work under Ubuntu no matter what kernel I use so I keep going back to Windows. This happens after various fresh installations of Windows as well. I can’t get it to stop. I basically cannot complete setting up the system with the A380 in there whatsoever.

I’m going to attempt a older version of the drivers from Intel and will report back if the issue stops. Since I’m not using the card for gaming it SHOULD be fine with the older driver package insofar as OBS and AV1.

You need to disable CSM if it’s enabled, that will prevent rebar from popping up, you’ll have to reboot after disabling CSM for changes to take effect
I had a designaire x399 board which has rebar

I have ASRock Challenger ITX A380 lying around, so I just tested it with my i7 Z790+13700K system. It worked without any issues (driver 4369 on Windows 11). This system is running on UEFI with Resizable BAR. So, at least, this doesn’t seem like a driver issue with the card itself.

1 Like

My board doesn’t support re-bar but again, I’m literally only using it for the encoder which should be fine. Are you saying I still need CSM disabled? This issue didn’t arise until the latest driver. I’ve been using it for a year on the same motherboard and it hasn’t been BIOS reset.

Encoder, idk, probably not it has been know to cause perf issues with games, but maybe it doesn’t affect compute

CSM is basically legacy mode, disabling has many other benefits

You can keep secure boot disabled and have CSM disabled for Linux, that’s how I ram Ubuntu for when I was doing AI testing

Some graphics cards like server stuff don’t have a mode where it’s just the 256mb payload so you need above 4g decoding to use them, which needs CSM disabled to enable that, motherboards really don’t like booting with 16GB bar space otherwise

CSM disabled, same thing happens. Re-installed windows… same thing. Also tried with beta drivers. Same thing.

And no, re-bar doesn’t effect the encoder whatsoever or at least in any meaningful way I can tell between what mine could accomplish vs my co-worker with the same use case but has re-bar support. It only seems to matter for 3D acceleration.

Went and tried Ubuntu again, no issues. It only seems to happen on Windows after official drivers are installed, latest stable and beta. Again, wasn’t an issue before latest update. Only reason I’m not using Ubuntu for my use case is I cannot get full AV1/OBS support to function correctly but under Windows seems to work fine.

Gonna toss it up to growing pains of first generation product

Yup. Thats basically what I figured. But found someone else having the same issue and was hoping to share steps we’ve tried between each other.

I managed to alleviate the issue by going back and installing pre-Iris included driver package “31.0.101.3959”. This might not be a viable solution for anyone using their card for gaming but for a card intended simply for it’s video encoder, this seems to work just fine for me.

This worked out fine for me, but… it’s always a but, i needed to reinstall Windows 10 after that, it couldent fin any harddirves after just a reboot.
after reinstallation it all worked out just fine.
Thanks!

I finally got a reply about the card, and I am getting a new card sent to me, so hopefully that one will work as intended.