I'm Upgrading my PC

I'm Upgrading my PC:

this is going to be a gaming Pc, I run most of the game in 720p or 1080p, i dont need to have everything on highest settings but i would love to be gaming with this PC for a very long time :)

- AMD FX-8370 Black Edition

- 2 X Seagate® Desktop SSHD 2TB (RAID)

- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+

- ASUS Radeon R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 (DirectCU II OC)

- Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866MHz 16GB 2x8GB CL9 XMP 1,5V, Silver

any thoughts??

Looks good. There's a few things here and there where you can save money without losing performance. Mind if I ask what you're upgrading from?

plz do tell, how can I save money without losing performance?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

6GB of RAM 800 MHz

XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3,

2X 500 GB (No RAID)

Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775, DDR2,

It is a old but awesome PC, i run almost all the games until new gen console games.

Please don't get the DCUii , on amd it's known to be bad ....

Do you need 4tb of unreliable raid ?

Do you need 16 GB ram ?!?

Why amd ? Do you have brand favoritism ? 

Are you only upgrading the above , meaning you still have a psu ( witch psu ? ) , case ?

I would get this , I'm price matching for my country :

samsung 840 evo 250GB 100€

i5 4690k 200€

Gigabyte Z97X-SLI 110€

8GB ddr3 1600mhz 65€

GTX 970 from zotac 310€

This is assuming you keep your mass storage , PSU , case , etc 

no, no brand favoritism, as you see my last PC is a Intel, but I want a 8 core CPU, any 8 core intel cpu is too expensive. 

290X is equal to GTX 970, until one run mantle, then it get better, but plz tell me, what is wrong with DCUii ? do you have any info on that? do you know of any website, video explaining?

I have: 

- Silver Power PSU, 600W, 120mm fan

APLUS Case XClio 2, Sidepanel, 250mm fan

I don't think it's a good idea to run a 290x ( 250-300w ) on and old 600w psu ( counting for 50w  loss , you might have problems with 550w)

Also the 290x is nosier ( coming from a guy with 290's ) .

290x DCUii photo : http://media.bestofmicro.com/AMD-Radeon-R9-290X,X-W-415940-22.jpg 

It's pulled straight off a Nvidia GPU ..

It reaches very high temps fast , and isn't as quiet as something like a good triX or other .

Mantle should not make your opinion sway , but you can get 290's for 210$ on ebay , so if you find a vaporX card on sale/ ebay , then that's interesting .

I would go for the 970 for it's new DX12 support , better power consumption , silence and temps .

Also , the extra heat of the 290x will make the case generally hotter , thus the cpu , etc will be hotter ( but your case looks adequate ) .

Do you need an 8 core ? BTW , the 8xx are not real 8 core's .

A 4690k will perform much better in gaming , and will avoid gimping your 290x / 290 / 970 , the amd is quite weak .

Pulled from reddit :

The Asus DirectCU II cooler was not made for AMD cards.

AMD chips are physically smaller than Nvidia chips, which is why a DirectCU II cooler taken off of a AMD card looks like this:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/AMD-Radeon-R9-290X,X-W-415940-22.jpg

The white part is where the AMD chip was. The heatplate is simply too large for it.

Hence the DirectCU II cooler does its job fine. But only merely fine. Its not a good or a great cooler and shouldnt be included in such a list.

r9 290 Cooler tier list: (tier 1 and tier 1.5 are just my humble opinion, but tier 3 and 4 are objectively correct)

Tier 1(best): Vapour-X, PCS+, Tri-X, Windforce
Tier 1.5(still great):Twin Frozr, Double Dissipation, IceQ x2
Tier 3(still ok): DirectCU II, Turboduo
Tier 4(garbage): reference

I have 2 290's , they destroy 1080p , and you can probably, if you do a few deals , get a pair second hand for a little more than a 970 .

A single 290x / 970 is also going to max stuff out at over 60fps , so don't get too worried about your choice .

thanks for the info, I think I may be going for GTX 970,

I am a bit worried about my psu however I am going to do the build like this and test it, I don't want to get a new one if the old one dose the job.  

Here ya go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wf92Bm

There's little reason to go with the FX 8370 over the FX 8350. In terms of performance, there's not enough difference to justify the price gap.

The Asus M5A99FX Pro motherboard is absolutely the best for the price right now. At $100, it can't be beat.

RAM doesn't need to be fancy. Unless you're using an APU, it all performs the same in games.

I recommend that you drop those Seagate SSHDs in favor of a single 250 GB SSD. It's cheaper and faster. You don't get as much storage, but that's a decision you'll need to make yourself. More storage VS speed. I personally do just fine with a 256 GB SSD and 2x 500 GB HDDs.

Last but not least, the Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X is about $70 cheaper than the Asus version.

Oh and with these savings, I would consider a CPU upgrade. Depending on the games you plan on playing, Intel may be a better fit. Which leads me to ask...what games do you plan on playing with this PC?

well you want an 8 core cpu, if this is a pure gaming pc, then an 8 core cpu is a total waste of money, especialy with an FX cpu.

A 4690K beats every FX cpu out there in gaming. Offcourse it depends a bit on which games you play, because there are allot of games on which there is virtualy no diffrence between amd and intel, that are so called GPU bound games, in those games the cpu does not matter much. However if we gonne talk about cpu bound games like mmo´s, then the i5-4690K will do a better job. because intel cpu´s have a much better single threaded performance. 

Even the so called multithreaded games, like BF4 dont run better on an amd FX or i7, then on an i5. The reason for this, is that BF4 only has the abbility to spread the load over all availebe threads, but it still does not use more then 4 main threads. As long as you play BF4 single player, then you are basicly gpu bound, and again there is not much a diffrence between amd and intel, but as you go multiplayer, then you become cpu bound aswell. and then you will notice some diffrence from the better per core performance of intel.

But yeah offcourse an FX 8 core chip is still a good chip, if you do more then just gaming, for example if you do 3d rendering, streaming or Virtualization.

But for just gaming an i5-4690K is just the better allrounder. It will perform decently in gpu bound and cpu bound games, in which the FX 8 core will struggle in some cpu bound games.

The choice is up to you in the end. ☺

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PwYmQ7

+1 xeon or i5

Very good explanation 

-you really don't need a CLC double 140 for a xeon

-the xeon , for some reason , in the us is sort of dumb , at almost 40$ over the i5 ( where I am it's 10€ under ) so I would just go with the i5 ( I have a xeon ) , or take the xeon and a small cooler .

-Make memory 2x4 , just for looks :)

Except for that perfect , that's almost exactly my build , so it will wreck 1080p , but I don't know what your budget is .

Funny, my 8350 doesnt struggle at all and i have never seen full load on it? I push two aio cooled 280's. I am primarily a mmo gamer. Any fraps difference under 10 or 15 fps really doesnt matter. ( well unless its the min :)~  ) The only real downside i can think of is you need to spend a little extra money on cooling and good mb.