I'm starting to lose faith in learning Programming!

A.I. is still programmed with these same languages. Learning A.I. definitely goes through learning these languages.

I think it was Ford, or Carnagie that said
"Men don’t fail… they give up."
I am pretty sure it was Dale Carnagie.
Perhaps you should think about putting away programming to give yourself a break… and go find a book called
Think and Grow Rich. The original has been re-released as it was originally printed, errors and all. I would reccommed that book over the “Henry Ford” watered down version.
You might find something in that.

Yeah, you don’t really learn languages so you’d know languages,… you learn them cause you have no other choice.

Just forget about the language and build the thing.

Resist adding bells and whistles until you can say “yes, it does what it’s supposed to”.

As for setting out what you want to build look into “functional specifications” . ( I’m thinking this is a good tool as it’s very easy for one person to maintain and translates well into documentation and test plans later).

What ever you choose it’s been stated above already, learning programming and learning a programming language while tied together are ultimatly different things.

In one language I can make a sword that loads a file that says it’s made of steel and another file that says it has the property “vorpal” and then another file that tells me what properties “vorpal” has.

Or I can chose a language that I make a sword and that sword can have the property of being made from steel and has the atribute of “vorpal”.

Or a language that I can make a weapon that inherits the class sword that can be made of steel that adds a +2 dmg modifier that it inherits from “steel” and has the property “vorpal” which decapitates creatures that have a head…

Or I can take any of the languages and define everything, depending on if it is common in the game and make it static or if it only shows up once or is just a refference to an item that can be crafted or what ever it needs to be. For the most part programming languages have different syntax and you have to impliment things a little bit differently but ultimately you do the same thing in almost all languages, they are just written differently and if you want a feature from language X in language Y you will have to write it youself or find a library for it. Needing a feature for X from language Y is usually how language Z gets made.

You can write the same programs in Ada, C, C++, Basic, Delphi, Pascal, Crystal, Dart, Rust, D, not Java, Erlang, Elixer, Go, Haxe, Kotlin, Lisp, Nim, Perl, Pike or whatever you choose. Look at something you aspire to make or to make something like it and see what it is written in and decided if that is what you want to make it in. Make the same thing in 1 or 2 languages( I make the same thing in Rust and C++ all the time ) to see what you perfer to write in ( Rust ). If you want to do Web make a fake/test site about w/e like Catapults and dedicate it to putting cats in space or what ever. If you feel like adding animations, work with some JS to get that into there. Want to add facts about cats or “apults” or just to embed the Kitten Cannon, look at the site and see what they did or take the knowledge you have and roll your own. Then after you have made it look at what they did and compare. Make simple programs and mix some of them together or make them modular and make one program use modules from another program. Find an open source program or project and modify it, add to it or fix bugs.(doing that lets you point at it for job applications or if you are interested in working on other projects.)

Mostly it just comes down to what you want to make, reducing that down to what needs to be in the program, reducing that down to how things should be implemented, down to what language best implements what you need to make, down to what you are forced to use anyways because good luck on finding a job that lets you decided on what you are going to use.

Or to Sum it up, find out what you want to do, look at everything that is realeted to it and study it, find out how to make something that is equil or greater( or just more optimised ), find ways to improve it or to simplify it, have fun doing it and don’t get hung up on optimizations.

1 Like