I'm sorry... How many GHz? Ryzen 7000

Compared to Apple silicon, the ‘major bottleneck’ in PCs is the memory bandwidth. So you could either increase number of channels (what Apple did) or move to next DDRx sooner. That is which ever way is cheaper to PC vendors to sell you their consumer systems. I believe DDR5 would be the equivalent to PCIe 4.0 in terms of lifespan.

With zen 2 and 3 you should never see base clock with a workload unless you run p95 with shit cooling. Zen all ways boosts dynamically between base clock and max boost depending on workload, thermals and power limits.

It really behaves like modern gpu regarding boost.

You want me to learn C++ to be able to use the tool that he linked just to prove that my 3950X behaves like every other 3950X in existence? AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Review: Premiere, Blender, Overclocking, & Gaming CPU Benchmarks - YouTube Of course I’m antagonistic towards AMD: they literally printed a lie on the box and I don’t take a single claim they make at face value anymore, even down to basic hardware specs. It’s not unreasonable to call a spade a spade, especially in a topic about AMD making such claims yet again. Maybe they’re true this time; I’m within my rights to withhold judgement until they’re verified. Like I said, if Nvidia or Intel did what AMD did here you’d never hear the end of it, but whenever it’s AMD being shady there’s always a choir of people trying to tell you how that’s good actually.

You say he hasn’t thrown a single insult when quoted in the message you responded to he says “But you’ve apparently tried nothing and are out of ideas, so just complain on forums instead I guess.” He’s insulted my knowledge, ability and intelligence all because it can’t possibly be that this widely discussed and acknowledged stretch of marketing is AMD’s fault, and not mine. He hasn’t provided facts, he’s provided fanboy deflection and justification.

After that he provides a path to a possible solution and you label him as antagonistic.
He literally said “Not that I think you’ll actually try it,…”
and instead of “No, I’m not.” you go on and say he’s offending and insulting the core of your being. Like, what?

The reason he provided that link isn’t because he’s defending AMD, but because he offered a helping hand at best, and unsolicited advice at worst.
You could’ve responded with “I’ve already tried this or that or the other” but no.
You chose to be insulted and went on offence for no reason.

I mean if we’re just making up events now we can say anything. Of course I didn’t try the thing that involved in depth knowledge of C++ in order to access. We’re not all programmers here.

Because of course everyone knows your competencies and all the knowledge you posses, right? So people either insult you by assuming you know stuff, but then insult you by assuming you don’t know stuff…?
Come on, man…

Neither am I. But when someone offers such a solution I either ask for assistance or politely tell them that it’s beyond my capabilities and get this, I :sparkles: move on :sparkles:

I’m being a bit facetious, but the point still stands.

You’ve moved on so much you are still replying to me. It wasn’t a solution, it was a deliberate derailing. I said I didn’t trust AMD when it comes to bombastic clock timing claims like this, and they turned it into this big thing. If it were a solution the average person could access it would be one thing, but a “solution” that clearly isn’t is a choice, particularly given just how well documented Zen 2’s clock shenanigans is.

If you don’t want people to react negatively maybe don’t be dismissive of them being ripped off to the tune of £1000 including CPU and motherboard.

You can take a time out now

2 Likes

Oh I guess I’m not related. In other news, did anybody see the craziness of the 7000 series? It’s really awesome. I’m really excited

It’s not the gigahertz that’s cool. It’s everything else around that architecture

2 Likes

goddamn that’s cool

that means software companies can keep bloating up their products since PCs can crunch it

This is a hilariously painful statement. Please don’t repeat

3 Likes

I’m not related either.

Not really.

Something that Intel has always been really good at was the Intel QuickSync video technology and this is finally going to have an equivalent on the AMD end with everything having the integrated graphics which I think is just essential

1 Like

I am waiting for Ryzen 7000 to hit markets and Ryzen 5000 to get more affordable. 5950x is a really nice chip for main hypervisor. Lots of cores, fast clocks and a huge IPC improvement from E5s a lot of us are running in our homelabs. Not to mention the reduction in power usage, and noise, thermal output. If ram prices don’t go completely insane Ryzen 7000 can also be a viable upgrade. Certainly better than going Epyc or Xeon Scalable if amount of PCIE lanes is not a big limiting factor.

Just download the executable and run it with HWinfo64 open for a few cycles - it’s safe…

Apparently there is a little more headroom than that.

I wonder how long until we get over 9000 MHz.

1 Like

TDP is a lie, stop using it to define max power consumption.

5.7ghz stock ST boost is insane, but be prepared to cool well over 200W if you’re looking to go Zen4.

Well, those charts by GN are decently done but only represent select data points at the extreme scenarios.

From a decent text review I saw, 7950x retains 95% performance at 60% (~140W) of stock power limit. So lower the power cap as that’s the freedom of DIY PC! Zen4 is insanely efficient.

I’m a little surprised that AMD didn’t take the chance to reduce idle power by moving I/O die to TSMC 6nm. I guess they decided it’s acceptable for desktop chips: 2 CCD SKUs idle at 19W. Single CCD SKUs idle at 14W. Similar to Zen2/Zen3 (?).

Not disagreeing with you, but the average consumer is not going to know how to undervolt or limit PLs or that they even should be doing such in the first place. They’re going to stick a 240mm budget AIO on a 7900X and wonder why the performance doesn’t match published third party benchmarks while their the CPU peaks up to 200W at 90C+

To be fair, this isn’t really anything new for AMD products. I had an unlocked FX-8120 that would run on less power with a [email protected] overclock than with stock settings.

1 Like

IMO, most consumers really should just buy OEM systems. With that warranty and support are taken good care by a single vendor. So there is a reason DIY market is shrinking for good in a sense.

I agree AMD will have an uphill battle on consumer education in the DIY market. Their boost algorithm is now taking TjMax to the fullest ever. News and know-how will spread quickly.