I'm really starting to hate news sites

If dev email lists qualify as social media then it started in 1978.

Taken from wiki

• Mail client written by Kurt Shoens for Unix and distributed with the Second Berkeley Software Distribution included support for aliases and distribution lists, forwarding, formatting messages, and accessing different mailboxes.[20] It used the Unix mail client to send messages between system users. The concept was extended to communicate remotely over the Berkeley Network.[21]
  • CompuServe offer Electronic mail as part of their corporate Infoplex service.[22]
1 Like

More like non-news sites.
I was building a set for a show in a television studio and I had to go to an office to get something from a certain person. But when I got to the office space, there were about 20 female journalism students there and their sole purpose was to write as many articles as they can in a single work day for the website.
Quality assurance is non existent and unnecessary. Grammar mistakes and incoherent sentences are all over the place.

Also, living in the EU, I tend to skip most articles written by most US press, since I mostly can’t even cancel the cookies and tracking and they won’t let me pass…

5 Likes

Combination of filter bubbles and people becoming dull to “classic clickbait”, news sites now resort to creating shitstorms, they should be liable for ruining peoples lives.

Fuck news sites and fuck “social” media.

6 Likes

Lapses of logic in news articles is bad. The frequency of typos and bad grammar is just infuriating. Are the authors not embarrassed to fail so hard on such a basic component of their profession?

And don’t get me started on “new” articles that get posted which just add a couple of sentences to an older article on the same evolving subject. Wastes my time in figuring out what’s actually new.

On a somewhat unrelated note, how many of you are on Workplace for all your workplace news and communication? https://www.facebook.com/workplace The ToS and “privacy” policy are an interesting read. :grin:

1 Like

One of the guys I work with and I have some pretty good (I.M.O) conversations about this kinda stuff often. In a sense it’s partially the fault of the consumer, since we (generally) don’t want to pay for a whole bunch of different services. We don’t want to pay a subscription for news sites, Facebook, YouTube, etc. We want everything online to be free, so they have to revert to ads. And as a result, they need to create click-bait to generate views. Also since the sites NEED advertisers, the advertisers have too much influence over what kind of content is produced (like certain companies not wanting to be associated at all with certain YouTubers, which results in overly-strict demonetization policy).

My policy is use ad blockers, partially as a security/privacy measure and partially because then they don’t get anything out of the click-bait, but I make sure to whitelist or subscribe/donate to sites I enjoy.

I would actually be fine paying for YouTube premium (YouTube is like TV for me basically) if I they would lighten up on creators, but right now I don’t trust my money will be put to good use. Then again, the ads go away when you pay for premium, so maybe it’s a good first step and then once more people are on-board they won’t have to bend the knee to the advertisers. I’m really skeptical though because they’d never completely get rid of ads. They need the ads there to try to convince people to pay. It’s the main incentive, at least for people like me who couldn’t care less about YouTube Originals and stuff like that.

2 Likes

I am beginning to hate mostly all websites and news sites altogether, even some web shops are making me mad.

You go to website, please white list us. You move the mouse around the page, enable notifications? You get anywhere near the tab bar, dont go, here is 10 percent off.

And when your site uses those click bait generators like Taboola, and Rev Content. I will not want to come back to your stupid site.

“This one (insert towns name) couple is making all the headlines for this one neat trick for car insurance”

Delete, ignore. I will never visit that site again.

6 Likes

That is what Diff tools are for.

3 Likes

It’s partially the fault of the consumer […] We want everything online to be free, so they have to revert to ads.

I agree.

The responsibility does lie on the consumer. The biggest problem isn’t that advertisers exist, but that advertising is effective. It’s the same reason we’ll never end spam.

But that responsibility goes all the way down. Even premium users of free services with ads are part of the problem, because the platforms they use still set policy for advertiser friendliness.

It doesn’t matter very much that I voluntarily give Level1Techs money, because they still have to censor their content to avoid demonitization for free users. That will continue to be true so long as they use a primarily free platfom.

I have a love-hate relationship with Patreon, but they’ve already done a lot of good on that front. Hopefully, it’ll continue to grow (or be replaced by a better service that does the same thing) and we’ll see creators themselves shift away from “views” as their metric for success towards the conversion of free users to paying viewers.

The first ones to do it will be goddamned heros because they’ll establish the models that everyone else will follow once it’s proven.

3 Likes

Operation Mockingbird
Church Commetee 1970’s
Tons of video’s on youtube, between Youtube, Q and 8chan we are sooo spoiled. I hear Nellie Ohr likes ham radio.
John Bachalor and Stephen F Cohen has had a 5 year conversation about the new Cold War but have discussed the de-evolution of News.

3 Likes

It just works.

1 Like

I just don’t use the internet anymore.

5 Likes

@wendell since you’ve got a 172 TiB server, how’s about giving those who pay SFTP access to just download the output video, or a different one with all the special sauce that YouTube won’t allow?

That, or could just set up torrents to your own videos? I’d be okay running a seedbox with my own NAS. I’m sure some of us would be as well.

1 Like

Almost like when you “try” (force) someone to change, they become a husk of what they once were.

I also have little to no sympathy for the woman responsible for pressuring him, she was pretty entitled, not to say that she doesn’t have a point. But it doesn’t matter, if you want someone around, you don’t do that to them.

Has a lot to do with respect actually, the Code of Conduct showed that they have little respect for the founder/creator of probably the best OS in existence. “Thanks for making this amazing tool, but go fuck yourself!” Was pretty much how I read it.

4 Likes

I stopped reading news articles quite some time ago, now I just skim headlines. If I do read some news like things, it’s research papers or the like, at least there it’s factual. Otherwise I mostly stick to radio programs which are informative, where a subject is being discussed by people with knowledge, not opinions. Opinions can be interesting and does have merit, it just shouldn’t be a deciding factor.

What baffles me, why is every news media, TV, paper, blogs etc. filled with opinions. I don’t give a flying fuck about their opinion, I’m interested in the subject, so I can start making an informed opinion on my own. Then again, if that became a common approach, there’d be a revolt since majority of the bullshit would be apparent to too many people.

Indeed.

@imhigh.today generally, I see it as something that’s targeted at those that are either unable to apply critical thinking, afraid to stand alone and form their own opinion or simply brainwashed enough to buy into the crap. Bit like stealing candy from a child. What makes me wonder, are there really that many people in the world lacking these things.

Unfortunately, EU media started catching up with the amount of shit content. Take a look at which media that sells the best, it’s strangely enough the ones with the least amount of actual content, which sells the most. Now in Denmark, government changed the rules for media coverage, therefore, the only radio station with critical journalism and programs which teach you something, will either have to move or shut down. Now there are no radio stations left without music, commercials and some retarded radio host talking about coming weekend and all the useless crap people are gonna do. Oh well, people wan’t entertainment, to accept knowledge, a person would have to accept they don’t know. Then it’s just easier to party, act like a 40 year old with a brain of a 12 year old.

@aLilBabyOtter Ads go away from youtube if you install “AdBlocker for YouTube™” plugin in firefox too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They already do Patreon content. The technical distribution mechanism doesn’t matter all that much. They’ve already got more platform awareness than many.

2 Likes

This is intresting

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19572514

an open source “fact checking” idea. I think this is a good step, personally if I don’t see sources on a new article I don’t read it. Most sites tend to link back to others articles on their own sites rather than the thing they are sourcing

2 Likes

I know they do patreon content, I’ve seen it. It’s mostly snippets and or uncut versions.

What I’m talking about is versions of the show that would not be allowed to be put on youtube.

2 Likes

You care enough about news to download and analyze articles? Or is that a browser plugin idea?

2 Likes

More of a pluggin idea. Alternatively, there is a super easy to use diff tool for VSCode.

2 Likes

Hey, I thought so , too, till I found out the content can be stolen & the publishers facilitate the theft.
Then there’s the problem w/ “consensus science”, which isn’t even “science” at all, it’s just some people decided ‘hey, this is the way it is’ regardless of the facts.
Complete B.S.

1 Like