I'm having I/O panel troubles

I'm trying to install an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 in a Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl), but there are tabs on the I/O shield pushing against the I/O ports preventing me from placing in the motherboard (the I/O shield starts warping before the tabs flatten). I don't see anything in the motherboard manual about this; Am I supposed to flatten the tabs on the I/O shield before trying to install the motherboard?

I had a similar situation with my MSI motherboard.  I bent the tabs on the I/O shield a little bit so that there was less strain on the motherboard.  Doing this also made installation of the motherboard easier.

Does this look right? I bent the pins down about half way from where they where before, and was able to screw in the motherboard. The shield is still bulging out some, and the ports look a little high compared to the shield holes. I can still use all the ports (except I have nothing to test the eSATA), though some of them are a little tight.

They look fine.  The I/O shield is really mostly for looks.  You could push the pins down a little bit more, but I think that as long as you can plug stuff into the ports, it should be fine.