Im going to micro center! :D

Im going to microcenter! anyone want to help me find the really good deals!?

Im picking up a ryzen 1800, 3-4 kits of ram, some cases, power supplies and other goodies. Also some graphics cards.

you guys want to pick what Im buying? also if there are any good open box deals or sales on other things, that'd be good too. Let me know what's on sale?

Heck I might get an intel cpu or two too if we can get some of these pay-me-not-to-use-ryzen deals I've been reading
about !

Crowdsourcing my savings :D

19 Likes

I'd love to see (yet more) capture cards tested on linux, and maybe some linux GPU benching on CAD/Machine learning/scientific data stuff. Phoronix has had a monopoly on it too long.

tl;dr:
buy some capture hardware and some GPUs to put under test

Hmm.
Well I looked at Hot Deals to see what was good:

Toshiba P300 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Desktop Internal Hard Drive - HDWD120XZSTA $62.99

http://www.microcenter.com/product/454561/P300_2TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_III_6Gb-s_35_Desktop_Internal_Hard_Drive_-_HDWD120XZSTA

I have a 3tb in my rig these things are pretty solid spinning rust hard drives.

MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5 Video Card w/ Zero Frozr Cooler and RGB LED is $239.99 $219.99 After Rebate

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467859/Radeon_RX_480_GAMING_X_8GB_GDDR5_Video_Card_w-_Zero_Frozr_Cooler_and_RGB_LED

I have this card in my rig. It's served me very well so far and stays pretty cool.

How good could a $50 router be? - ASUS RT-AC1200 Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Router
http://www.microcenter.com/product/454481/RT-AC1200_Dual_Band_80211ac_Wireless_Router

How about a laptop on Closeout Deals to install Linux on it for giggles? Like on the Dell Latitude E6410 Windows 7 Professional 14.1" Laptop Computer Refurbished - Gray; Intel Core i5 Processor 2.4GHz; Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit; 4GB RAM; 320GB Hard Drive for $200

http://www.microcenter.com/product/451304/Latitude_E6410_Windows_7_Professional_141_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Gray

Pick up some Raspiberry Pi 3s to use for an IOT project?

What about TP-LINK TL-SG108 8-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Desktop Switch? One can never have to many network switches right?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/414582/TL-SG108_8-Port_10-100-1000_Gigabit_Desktop_Switch

1 Like

I have one extra! but I wonder if they have the new $10 pi yet.

4 Likes

Is streaming allowed inside? Would be cool for you to live stream it so input would be current regarding deals in there

There aren't any rules against recording or anything like that, but if employees start to feel uncomfortable and they inform a manager you will be told to stop recording. I remember something like this happening to @JokerProductions when the Pascal GPU's first launched.

Because @wendell is absolutely infamous for how pushy and forward he acts in public

1 Like

Do you mean the ryzen 1700 or 1800x? There is no 1800.

Microcenter also has that samsung cf something something 3440x1440 quantum dot display.

I would KILL for a in depth review of that thing. I am trying to decide between the samsung and the lg 38u something something 3840x1600 monitor.

If you see an open box deal you like you can hold it in your cart for 72 hours. Also some open box deals disappear, then reappear 72 hours later.

1 Like

http://www.microcenter.com/product/469063/Core_P3_SE_Open_Frame_ATX_Mid-Tower_Computer_Case_-_White
95$ would make a aesthetic test bench

What AM4 motherboard are you using for the 1800x?

You gotta cool those CPUs. How about a variety of water-cooling and maybe popular air-cooling products? My next build will most likely be overclocked a tad and those all in one units look promising, but I'm curious if a custom loop would be better. Dont think you're looking to get into custom though.

Edit: reference prices on Amazon at least. They will price match. I saved 30% on a mouse and 20% on some headphones recently.

Edit: Edit: Amazon product prices must be at least fulfilled by Amazon for the price to be valid. Just looking the Corsair h100 is $5 cheaper, rest seem to be better $ at microcenter.

2 Likes

I've been told by my trusted hardware distributor when I ordered my Ryzen parts, that gigabyte is the best bet right now for full functional integration. I can't tell you if it's true, haven't got mine yet, is delivered tomorrow morning. So I can't share any results until Saturday at the earliest if I have a staff member assemble the system for me tomorrow, but I'd rather do it myself, it's part of the experience, haven't decided yet on that lol

so far tested and shot (sans broll) ASRock Taichi and AX370 Aorus Gaming 5. Both are really solid boards at a pretty crazy sweet spot.

The gigabyte UEFI is quite spartan right now and has undergone major updates. The ASRock has a buch more settings, but I have some concerns when I read the descriptions for things like "load line calibration" and it says Intel in the description lol. Copy Pasta faillll

that said, both boards are sweet.

that said both boards with KVM are impossible.

PCIEx8 1 and PCIEx8 2 are grouped in same iommu!

I can shove a pcie 2.0 x4 gpu in the PCIe slot connected through the PCH, thats iommugroup 0, but "everything" on the X370 chipset is in iommu group 0! So I'd have to pass through the native x16 PCIE lanes to the VM, but I can't do that because there is no way to have the uefi prefer + initialize the graphics card connected through the PCH.

I've done the crazy kernel boot thing before where it might work anyway, initializing the second card at boot, but like with the fury once the fury is initalized there is no resetting it unless you foray into hacked bios country

any reason the ACS patch wouldn't be a valid workaround for passthrough?

I just watched a review, and the xfr seems to only clock one of the cores to c.4 Ghz. On 100% load the cores drop to 3.6ish. He set volts to 1.4 and manually clocked all 4 cores to 4 Ghz, the temps went to 80ish degrees.

Would it be possible to test this out? He (OC3D) said there was little warmth coming off his cooler so he suspected the IHS wasn't transferring heat properly.

It seems strange that the XFR doesn't up clock to 4 Ghz on all cores. Maybe that's normal across Ryzen CPUs and his is just weird.

I will that @tastyrabbittkoham I tried the ACS patch but it seemed not to be working. Do you know if ACS was merged into 4.10? Was using both a 4.9 kernel that I know had the patch and 4.10 (not sure if patched therE).

On linux on kernel 4.10 two cores was 3.8/3.875 on 2 cores, 3.4 across the board on all 8 cores. That was a 1700x.

The gigabyte aorus was 100mhz beyond spec of the box, I think because xfr.

So I suspect shenanigans not getting 4 ghz on all 4 cores. ? Will have an 1800x soon enough.

Interesting. The more I see about this lineup, the more heavy the early adopter tax seems. Pretty much resolved to wait for gen2 at this point.

2 Likes

pfff Microcenter
Everyone knows: "Your best buys are always at Fry's"

where im from we've only got one choice :D

2 Likes