I'm A Disgusting Person

It’s part of the contract.

Stop the world, I want off.

Don’t like it, don’t use it.

2 Likes

This isn’t 100% true.

I know a guy who worked for an ISP and when they saw VPN traffic from a non-business user they throttled it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s more that it allows you to bypass throttling rules based on non-vpn protocols.

So, if they, for example, throttle bittorrent or Steam downloads or something, you can usually work around that by using a VPN. Of course, they could also just throttle the VPN traffic as well lol

Yeah its a complete mixed bag.

VPN’s are not the silver bullet the normies think they are.

2 Likes

Yes. Why would it be illegal? A company has the right to protect their IP.

Its not exactly hard, they just sit there and watch you download illegal shit then tell your ISP you’ve been a naughty boy.

Refrain from sending them toe pics to make up for it. They might get the wrong idea…

2 Likes

When they seed the material, according to german law, then you are not commiting a crime.
Or when it is pron (because, quote: Everyone can film themself being naked)

Well sir, just wait till you see how Professional some studios are!
It’s not all go-pro’s hidden on top of a wardrobe anymore;
Some even have… “dialogue”

1 Like

If you don’t want to leave your VPN on for the whole system, all the time, you can run transmission inside a docker container with openvpn:

Just use the transmission web API or a chrome extension to add torrents. Auto handles port forwarding and only lets transmission out on the openvpn network, so no leaks. Been using it for almost a year without issue.

Centurylink turned off my internet for running a sandstorm server because it used email verification.

If VPNs were the be all/end all, NSA, CIA, and FBI wouldn’t catch anyone. Neither would the Chinese government.

Y’all should be careful.

Lol at “hiding” from ISPs when you’re using their equipment, tho

3 Likes

They kind of have a place, else companies/services would not bother with them.
But it’s just kicking the can down the road; even if the traffic is Impossible to decrypt in flight, the company on the end can be strong-armed by The Man, and profiling companies just follow all traffic back to the open end of the pipe, just as insecure as simply taking laptop to someone else’s house. Your ISP can’t follow the traffic, but it’s only a part of the puzzle

1 Like

I agree they have a place and are good when used and implemented correctly. But I think connecting to one so you can steal/pirate content and expecting to be 100% secure is laughable. There are more variables than just “hiding” from your ISP

2 Likes

It’s not like the Feeb would run a Kiddie pron site for a few months to track down some animals…

2 Likes

It’s not the IP protection I’m thinking of, it’s the traffic collection. Maybe I’m misunderstanding how they found him out, but a company collecting and reading someone’s traffic without a warrant of some sort seems like it would be illegal as fuck where I’m from.

That’s exactly what this forum is doing right now with everything that passes through it.

Maybe to clarify a bit. They aren’t tapping your line and collecting all your data. They’re monitoring torrents and collecting information on who’s downloading ones that contain their IP. That information is public, there is no expectation of privacy.

2 Likes

Then I did misunderstand how he was found out. That makes much more sense.

Use a VPN service that provides multiple ports. The only way they detect you using a VPN in the first place is when you’re using a port they deem a VPN port. I’ve gotten around VPN throttling 100% of the time by switching between the 6 ports I have to choose from. There’s also TCP port 443, which is what the authentication service for most websites with DRM use. They can’t block it. I still access Netflix through my preferred VPN server this way.

If you’re in a place like China where they do deep packet inspection to detect VPN usage, VyprVPN provides a concealment service that taxes your bandwidth, but conceals the packets to look like regular unencrypted traffic

2 Likes