If you think Gnome is ugly... you don't gnow what you are talking about

I find VLC tears a lot on my Nvidia card. I use only mpv now. It take a little while to get use to the hot keys as the UI is very minimal.

I'm looking forward to ubuntu 16.04 coming out and it supports installing gnome 3.20 which has a lot of wayland support. Maybe that will help tearing.

afaik 16.04 gets shipped with gnome 3.18

Well, most of 3.18, nautilus 3.14 and I think two of the applications were from 3.20

I hate you for saying that.

Just kidding. I actually like Unity as well, it's just not my favorite. I love how in GNOME you can just hit Win key and it shows all windows and workspaces and brings up the search bar. It's basically like a combination of spaces and launchpad on a Mac. I know in Unity when you hit the Win key it brings up the search, but it doesn't show windows and workspaces if I remember correctly.

For me it goes:
1. GNOME
2. Unity (after uninstalling all the Amazon and internet search stuff if you're using Ubuntu)
3. XFCE
4. LXDE
5. Cinnamon
6. KDE

1 Like

Gnome would also be my favorite IF somehow, the title bars would be a bit thinner..
Can you recomand a good theme for gnome, that also takes care of my 'issue' ?

You can reduce the thickness like so:

$ gedit ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

content:

.header-bar.default-decoration {
padding-top: 2px;
padding-bottom: 2px;
}

.header-bar.default-decoration .button.titlebutton {
padding-top: 2px;
padding-bottom: 2px;
}

Restart the shell with alt-F2 and typing 'r'
You can change the thickness according to your desires with that config, it's a local file so it won't affect other users.

2 Likes

I will try your suggestion, but does this apply to all apps? I remember using for example eclipse, and the tabs where bigger then on other guis. I think eclipse inherits from the base theme some properties.

Aye, all apps that use the gnome window manager.
Gnome default:

The earlier posted config:

2 Likes

Its a little late, bur awesomewm

grub is an easy fix too

Once you switch to a tiling wm, you can never go back.

Free floating windows feel obsolete and an obstruction after that.

https://awesomewm.org/ ....forever!

Ya I don't really like how thick they are either, and I also don't like that the taskbar at the top curves downward at the end. In terms of out-of-the-box functionality it's amazing though. I'll get around to fixing the quirks some day, but for now I am too lazy and just looking past them lol.

I'm back on Ubuntu 16.04 MATE now, for some reason I just like MATE. Even thought XFCE is meant to be the better choice. Provided you add the advanced MATE menu icon in the topbar, it seems pretty good and clean to me.

I'm waiting for OBS to get going on Linux. It's supposed to be ready very soon.

If you are using Ubuntu, it's in the software center. If you are using a derivative, you can add the repo and apt get it.

I've never thought GNOME 3 was ugly to look at, but I do find its' default configuration as ugly to use as Unity or Windows 8.x.

I believe you can change a lot of that up, but I don't have the time or the inclination to mess with my desktop to that extent any more. If I can't fix it in the Tweak Tool then it's too difficult, and probably means my configuration will be too different for various features of some apps to work as intended.

OTOH, Pantheon exists, works in a GNOME 3 way (more so than Cinnamon, I think, though that is a good alternative which I'm confident will catch up) and that's perfectly usable as is. I'll stick with that. (I don't mind Mac-isms in key labelling XD)

If Pantheon did not exist, I would probably be using GNOME 3 as my primary DE. I've loved MATE, but it's time to let it go, I've hated Plasma and Unity, but now I don't have to use either of those to not be stuck in the dark ages. GNOME 3 is stable and works and alternate DEs or configs are a reality.

Of course, if I want to remote desktop via X (not VNC or such) then even MATE is too new, so I'll put xfce (or lxde) on those, and they're great for micro systems like Rasberry Pi and such too.

ubuntu gnome is one of my favorite operating systems its a shame the software isn't there like the adobe suite and drivers for mixing desks

I have tried gnome again, with the configuration mentioned on this site. funny I can't find that reply anymore here...
I like how it looks and I like how it feels, but I don't know why, I always return back to unity... And I am a bit shame of that. I don't want to like unity, and I would like to like gnome a bit more... but unity does seem better for me :(

Can't wait for a video on this.

It is not how it looks. It looks lovely. It is the navigation that drives me mad.