If you can not buy a GPU why not lease one?

When it comes down to this, i wonder, isn’t a console just the better choice after all? This is way too much of a hassle just for gaming…

2 Likes

Yes very much so. I myself am considering getting a laptop with a 1050 an a switch and selling everything off so I have cash to move out of my parents place.

1 Like

That sounds great man.

1 Like

If i didn’t have a GTX 1060 (which even in 4k is enough for what i play) i bought before the mining craze, i would’ve already bought an Xbox or Playstation at this point.

Eh. They aren’t as good as the switch. Like not even close. They’re more advertisement mills where the switch is an actual game console. No youtube no amazon no trash. Just turn on, play night in the woods, or stardew valley, or doom, or mario kart… Whatever. It deserves a lot more credit than Xbox or PS4.

Perhaps, i actually want a Switch right now, but the price over here in ridiculous, R$1900 for the basic kit.
And the Xbox (including the One S) supports 4k bluray playback with Dolby Atmos audio, which really matters to me. Oh, and the Xbox One S basic kit is R$1300.

You’re in south africa right? Thats what the R is? (I’m assuming so)

R$1300 for the xbox, but then R$700 for XBL gold, and in case that doesn’t matter bc you don’t play online, its still a large blob for more games. But if you got gold you could get a free game every month, but still pay 700 per year.

Switch you can pay… I think its 20USD here? so… R$234 or so for their monthly thing where you can keep whatever game it is you want off of their downloadable list and you DON’T need to buy XBL every month/3/6/9/year in order to play the “free” games you downloaded. The switch, price wise, is an over all better deal (unless you lose / kill a controller).

I would otherwise say get the fuck out of south africa seeing as how the 100 year drought is about to hit.

R$ is Reais, Brazil.
Xbox live is around R$130 for the whole year.

1 Like

I think leases are a waste of money, especially cars in the United States. The ratio of cars to people is ridiculous here, and regulation is low so we’re basically allowed to drive anything.

So, that being said- I can see the appeal for services like these, but I agree with @Eden that it makes little sense and will end up costing you more in the long run. Not to mention all the complications that come with hardware.

But GPU prices are bad.

I was just in Japan. I bought two 1060s for like ~350$ a piece. The shortages were pretty bad there too, especially in Tokyo. It doesn’t matter where you go there isn’t really any avoiding it. In Japan, they are selling retail ‘kits’ for mining. Just the prices haven’t adjusted like they have in the states and elsewhere.
All of the high end cards were sold out everywhere, especially the 1080ti and Vega cards. I found one 1070ti that I should’ve picked up, but I went with the two 1060s instead. I bought these to keep on hand for the rest of the year, when I get build requests.

I mean you could just get a last gen card like everyone else, or go on Craigslist. Its not like you can’t play games and do most things with a 970 or the like. At the end of the day, it still doesn’t make sense. You can get like 2-4GB of GDDR5 for less than 200$. I’ve seen plenty of used cards everywhere, including Japan. My only regret is not buying more GPUs when I was there.

1 Like

I wish there were just symbols for this shit or universal currencies… Ech.

Still, xbox is a money / advert mill. Can you see my point at least? I’m not fanboying, its just the xbox is a terrible deal and I assume the PS4 is because they’re lazy as fuck. The greenlight massacre left steam and went to PS4. Trust me, I got an xbox one for my bday last year and have very little reason to play it and I feel really bad about it. Its not a good deal.

1 Like

Yes, i see the point and it makes sense to me.
I just wish the Switch was cheaper over here, i would get one for sure, perhaps as it ages the price will come down as well.

1 Like

Good thing you brought this up, i have to remember to use BRL instead of “R$”, its a bit easier to understand.

1 Like

I am typically a last gen GPU user. I am currently running a refurbished GTX980 that I picked up at Microcenter for cheap. My precious GPU was a GTX780 i got off of ebay for a steal as well. Ive had no issues with either card.

I know refurbs are a gamble, but so are eBay and Craigslist items.

I dont know how previous generation prices have faired with the lunacy going on now, but it may be a good option, it has been for me.

1 Like

Bought used 980ti month after Pascal launched in 2016 for $500

Same model on eBay fetching $485 last time I checked early January, some listings going for 500…

1 Like

The only drawback waiting until prices for GPU’s to drop is they are not going to drop, that is the evil of crypto coins.

1 Like

Better off just living with a Ryzen APU PC until GPUs are back to normal

2 Likes

Leasing or HP makes perfect business sense for a number of reasons.

Minimal outlay
Tax incentives
Claiming VAT/GST etc credits on the total cost of purchase to lower your quarterly/annual statements.
A multitude of other reasons.

Leasing generally has little to zero benefit for non-business owners.

2 Likes

if you’re building a new computer you can get near MSRP rates for gpu if you buy the who thing in one go
but yeah APU isn’t too bad of a idea

1 Like

that is what I am going to do with grandad new PC

Mark

Although even if you are a business shouldn’t they be concerned with total cost of ownership rather than just the upfront price? The guy I know who runs a business only thinks of the price per year to do something.