If linux is dead, if, what are you going to do?

Yeah, and the point that I’m making is that your assumption that Apple would be screwed is completely incorrect.

Not only does macOS run on ARM and likely other architectures, but (more importantly, for the typical end user who has some software with no source available) - UNLIKE Linux, Apple ALSO has a track record of providing emulation for the previous architecture on their new hardware and has managed several transitions from one arch to another in a relatively seamless, pain-free manner.

This isn’t some hypothetical fantasy - they did it with the PPC -> x86 transition via fat binaries and rosetta. They eased the pain with multi-arch binaries in Nextstep. 25 years ago.

Linux? Try running PPC linux binaries on an x86/x64 linux install.

Good luck.

I can see where you’re coming from.

I guess my biggest problem with the whole concept is that Linux gets direct support from hardware vendors unlike BSD a lot of the time.

Sorry to stray OT, but one reason the new CoC irks me is shortly after it was merged they tried to get Ted Tso kicked off the board… If that isn’t bullshit then I don’t know what is.

So that’s why I fear it will be spirit. The project will go on. Some of us just have a hard time backing a CoC that can be used to get rid of so much talent in favor of manners.

The problem is there’s so much hostility on both ends that people either want to make it more restrictive or they want to get rid of it instead of fixing it.

It’s a problem right now, and I hate it because of how overbearing it is. I mean, if you look at the comments on GitHub for the change you can tell how distraught everyone is. And they are more vocal than the people okay with the change.

So, I do think the CoC has the potential to ruin Linux for others. I really do. Its the most stereotypical thing ever merged into the kernel.

As I pointed out in the changes comments… I’m legally blind, and personally, I don’t need a damn document to defend myself.

1 Like

This is the wrong thread for this reply, but if you go to the CoC thread you will realize it is not just about manners. The author of the CoC completely lacks manners or a civil tongue; you can be as polite as you like but if you are not with her, then you are against her and she will call you a ***king Nazi!

Back on thread. Linux the OS will not die just because of a CoC. If all the devs left the existing project and stopped contributing the big companies that produce Linux Distros for Enterprises could continue their own forks, Oracle already has their unbreakable kernel for example.

Linux the OS would continue.

EDIT - to make more sense.

2 Likes

That’s where I disagree. I think the CoC contributes very much to this discussion at least in my use case. As I said, I don’t think Linux will die. I think it will however slowly depreciate in spirit due to acts of regulation such as the CoC. Take it as you may however.

I’d probably go for Haiku. Nice and lightweight, great at multi-threading, Not really unix-y but close enough. They’re about to release a new beta soon as well!

3 Likes

They also just ported over libre office I think.

Yeah, and one guy is porting over a bunch of games too https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/openmw-morowind-and-other-3d-games/7363

5 Likes

Holy shit thats cool.

1 Like

I alway wondered if they kept the core multi-thread everything going into Haiku. It remember the demos on the original OS with 3D cubes and videos running on every face. It was super impressive at the time compared to what Windows / Mac where doing.

Now here’s something interesting to share, as another alternative to Linux

2 Likes

I doubt it will ever come to this, but if it did I wouldn’t mind FreeBSD. I could just add a BASH shell and pretend it’s Linux. :wink:

4 Likes

Go with one of the BSD OS’es. I just can’t fathom myself going back to windows 10 as i dropped it while it was still windows 8.1, so i did not get the windows 10 “you don’t own this” grace period to get accustomed to. The last time i tried windows 10 i felt like i was visiting a cheap hotel, so did not stay for long.

On the other hand, i have already used freebsd a few times and it was good enough for normal usage. It would limit my hardware choices, but at least i can tinker and configure it to my liking.

I agree too big to fail… I just get triggered by Homo sapiens that think there special.

I’d probably use FreeBSD in the short term for desktops, and OpenBSD on some servers, and continue playing with Haiku and Redox on the side with the hope that they’ll eventually be supported enough to be a daily driver system. I already support Redox on Patreon. As for Icaros, I support it on Patreon, but I don’t see it ever being my daily driver system. AmigaOS was great for the time, and if it had been continuously developed it would have probably evolved along with the rest of the systems, but with the hiatus of development it kind of stagnated. I’m somewhat concerned that Haiku might meet the same fate.

If there’s a Linux fork by the devs that were chased out from Linux by the new bunch, I’d probably keep an eye on it and possibly use it. Chances are it’ll be a drop-in replacement anyway in the short term.

1 Like

I’d probably go to TrueOS or something like that.

My computer is becoming more of a tool as time goes on. I’m not really interested in building a kickass gaming rig any more. I just want it to be able to multitask smoothly, and I already have a setup that works really well for that.

Hell, if I were able to get a decent price for my desktop I’d just sell it and use my beefed up T420 as my main computer. Maybe slap 32GB of RAM in it instead of 16, and put a 1TB SSD instead of 500GB. But it works fine for almost everything I care about as far as my computer is concerned.

When it comes to gaming I’ve almost switched to consoles entirely. I still play Rocket League on PC because I prefer mouse and keyboard for it, and some WoW, but most everything else is on my Xbox One X and Nintendo Switch. And I’m on a downslope in WoW, so that wouldn’t even be difficult to give up at the moment.

That looks interesting as well.

I dunno. The new CoC kinda worries me. I don’t think the end-user will notice any significant difference, but it’s the principle of the thing. I don’t think it’s going to kill Linux, but I don’t like it. I don’t think it’s going to be a witch-hunt to get as many white people out of Linux as possible, but I also think that it’s kinda silly (most of the rules are common courtesy and shouldn’t be necessary, and it sounds like it was written by SJW’s). I mean really all they needed to write is “Don’t be an asshole”, and they could have left it at that. But because of how it’s written, it feels like one of those things that COULD turn into a witch-hunt really fast if the wrong people were put in charge.

1 Like

… aside…

the problem with projects like Haiku, BeOS, etc. that look massively fast in the early stages is that part of the reason for that is the lack of functionality. you can even see it with linux to an extent. the linux desktop of 10 years ago was WAY faster (disclaimer: forgetting the improvements to SMP when running on multi core now - multi core wasn’t so much a thing back then) because it was doing far less in the background.

I guess what I’m saying is that comparing something like Haiku to macOS or Windows (or even a modern Linux desktop) isn’t entirely fair as there’s so much less functionality and flexibility there.

for me, things like Haiku, whilst cool little projects, they’re a non-starter until they run the stuff and provide the real-world features and driver support that i need, and right now they just don’t.

…And my bet is that by the time they do (if ever), the performance will degrade significantly from where they are today; there’s no free lunch - and the developers on the major platforms aren’t all muppets.

I downloaded the latest release out of interest.

Its single user. Running as root.
No GPU acceleration
Can barely browse the web and the browser is running as root. Single user.

It would have been interesting if apple had picked it up instead of what became OS 9 etc with Next.

Im happy with XP ver319 patch 330993 and is as soli…

4 Likes

He must have bluescreened.

3 Likes

Did it support your NIC (or did you run it in a VM perhaps)? Last time i checked Haiku it wouldn’t even see my network adapter. Admittedly that was some years ago.

whilst projects like this are interesting from a niche usage or code concept experimentation perspective, they aren’t practical for full time use.

And to some degree, i’d say people trying to use them like that are mostly wasting their time. There are usable alternatives. Are they perfect? No, but trying to help improve something that is say 70% there is likely to get us closer than ignoring them and trying to make something work that’s starting out maybe 15% there.