Idle lockups with KVM

I got a Dell Inspiron 5675 with a Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB RAM and a Radeon RX 580. I added a GTX 1050 Ti to use for GPU passthrough. I installed Debian Stretch 9 and KVM+virt-manager, and got a Windows 10 VM working with the 1050 after sorting through the Radeon reset bug, an overheating PSU and other sundry issues.

But the thing is unstable. It crashes when idle, and leaves no trace in the logs as to what happened. So I’m at an impasse, and unsure what to do next. I’ve got a few options:

1. Stick with Windows and use Hyper-V, VirtualBox or maybe even VMWare Workstation for my virtualization needs. So far Windows 10 has been rock solid on this system, though I haven’t tried any kind of virtualization with it yet.

2. Get a X370/X470/B350/B450 motherboard, strip the Dell for parts (CPU, RAM, HDs), build a new system and hope that a non-proprietary PC will be more stable.

3. Try a more modern distro like Fedora or Debian Sid and hope for better hardware compatibility.

Any suggestions on which path I should take?

Try number 3. Doing something as niche as what you’re wanting to do you need to be on the bleeding-edge distros; or just wait for it to catch up into stable.

Can you disable C-States in the UEFI?

@Dynamic_Gravity It’s worth trying. Would you suggest any particular distro?

@noenken Poked around in UEFI but there wasn’t much to see. Didn’t see anything about C-states, though I did disable S4 and S5 states.

I think fedora would be the best route. There are lots of people running #lookingglass who run fedora and IIRC that’s what Wendel uses for it too.