idkGames "Kill Your Console" Challenge

Welcome to the first idkGames blog!

Seeing as how we can blog about whatever, I figured it would give me a chance to share what my friend and I have been working on. Most recently, we challenged ourselves to build a "kill your console" rig.

Last month, my friend and I decided to build a "kill your console" build. We wanted to pick parts that were similar if not slightly better than what the PS4 and Xbox One have in them. We kept our price ceiling at $500 including tax and shipping to keep it competitive to the consoles (we bought all parts on one day and were not slowly accumulating pieces through sales). Unlike the consoles and other "kill the console" builds, we went with Linux as our OS. Our results were interesting and my friend and I came to different conclusions about our build. Please check it out and tell us what you think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGj5I1wKI4

Note: We actually posted the video a few days before Steam OS was announced. My friend and I would have absolutely loved to mention this and we had a long conversation about it, which I wish we taped. Overall, the Steam OS, as it is currently understood, would have been amazing for this machine and would have my made conclusion even more resolute. My friend would not have changed his conclusion, but it did make him much more interested in the build.

More videos are in the works, so please subscribe and comment.

Thanks!

thanks for the vid

I'm actually interested in what fps the games got with certain graphic specs. I mean, Does it go for 720p on high settings and keep above 40fps? Or is 20fps the highest you can get?

The next gen consoles are still 720p just up-scaled to 1080p.

I think you should list your specs, so we can see exactly what you bought. I was looking at:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LLRz

• CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.00 @ Amazon) 
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.96 @ Amazon) 
  • Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($153.98 @ Newegg) 
  • Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
  • Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $514.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 23:22 EDT-0400)

I managed to spec up a system that beats a console with an AMD A8 Quad core 4GB RAM and 7770 1GB, costs around £400, rather nice basic system, perfect for indie games and to be honest most modern day games :)

My PC with a Sapphire 7870 (here) and a Intel Pentium G850 (here?), 8gb of 1600 RAM at 60hz 1080p plays BF3 ultra 40-50fps. So an expensive build isn't necessary, as XDroide626 says.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Yeah I figured since it was listed under the video, people were smart enough to figure it out (and hopefully not too lazy haha).

My friend and I only messed around with the slightly. Our goal was to find what was about the highest setting that still made the game playable. I know for a fact that when we first loaded up a few of the games, that the resolution was set lower than 1920x1080. The fps was much higher at that point, but I cannot for the life of me remember how much higher.

Unfortunately, we cannot go back and retest all the specific results since we ended up selling this build to help cover the cost of expenses. So, sorry we can't do that for you.

Very nice! Glad to hear someone else was able to keep cheap and go with PC.

Only if more people could fully understand this haha

Thanks for checking it out!

I live for the day that Linux will be able to play all games with no problems cos I would drop windows off the nearest cliff

SteamOS is coming, also, AMD Mantle might help out with the performance A LOT, and hell, if you have an NVIDIA card, it might still work anyway.

Exactly. I get fed up with the comments towards my 'low end' hardware, when in fact, its powerful enough for my uses

Mantle is going to be a godsend *if* AMD get it right, *IF*.

Yes, but IF they do get it right, it'll be amazing haha.