Icons! Get your FREE icons right here!

I missed the Mac function of being able to color files and folders.
Then I figured out how to make custom icons for Windows. I do it all the time, usually because I don't like the design of the standard icons or it is too small. Also for important folders that I want to POP. As a Designer I enjoy the challenge of creating a logo that reads as well at 16x16 pixels as it does at 256x256.

122-Icons is a .zip file that contains custom icons for Windows.
These can can be used to label important folders, apps or games.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ULPwbr-1KXZFlISWR5WmRHYVk/view

It is quite fun to.do this kind of thing. I had to for a while as I was making and still occasionally do make Rainmetrr skins with a dock or quick launch skin for my most used applications.

Usually I do very flat things though, something undistracting, just to blend in with the background as these just sit on top of the wall paper.

2 Likes

My icons are all over the place style wise. My style is no-style. depends on what it's for.

BTW: I use Pshop at 512x512 pixels and save as a 256x256 .png, usually with transparent areas. Then I convert to .ico with free Junior Icon Editor. It's important in Pshop to view the potential icon at various sizes. From tiny 16% zoom up to 200% when I'm working on it.

I am all AMD and poor people as Barnaclues would say so I use Paint.net. I do send out as PNG because I don't need to use ICO for thenreainmeter skins. It treats fully transparent as non clickable so I usually have a full square background of practically invisible 001 transparency layer to make the entire icon area clickable. But my uses are different a little from yours.