IC / DIP Adapter -- [ IC > IC / DIP > DIP / IC > SMT connection ]

BRIEF:

I have an IC with 1.27mm ish pitch, 8 pins total, 4 pins either side. In tech speak that’s S08 SOIC.
I want to adapt/attach into a DIP form factor > then back into a standard SMT form factor to go onto a board.
Essentially: IC > IC / DIP ADAPTER > DIP / IC ADAPTER > SMT connection
This creates a DIP area between the IC and the BOARD’s SMT mounting contacts.

SO8 IC/DIP Adapters:

IC converted to DIP adapter01-aa
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162316391625

DIP converted back to SMT adapter02-aa (url says “adaptor”. :confused: sad!)
https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/S036PD/8+Pin+Dip+to+8+Pin+Surface+Mount+IC+Adaptor+1-348466-5.html

The Questions:

This IC to DIP adapter adapter01-aa is what I will place my small SOIC chip onto.

Q1: How will the DIP “rods” (posts) mount through the circular contacts on either side with this adapter? It appears to me that the holes have solid material in the way… Perhaps this requires a special post that attaches to the board without penetrating it like a normal DIP post does?

• See related listings below the main item which have holes through the board for standard DIP mounting
  • It is possible because the seller has used soft lighting, the color of the gold contacts surrounding the “hole” are reflecting gold light onto the white surface beneath the adapter, making it appear solid gold to an untrained eye.

This DIP to SMT adapter adapter02-aa is what my newly named "DIPCHIP" ;-) will mount to. The SMT part will go onto a board. I was hoping to make my life easy and lazy by removing the need to solder my DIPCHIP when taking my DIPCHIP from board to board.

Q2: Do you think the DIP Pin connection will be good enough to be SOLDERLESS?

• This adapter obviously is solderless, but I feel the need to ask whether a solderless adapter is appropriate for my use.
  • The chip will be part of an “at home production environment” which basically means downtime and breakage is bad, but not absolutely catastrophic. I don’t expect 100% reliability, but am hoping for something that works nearly always, and will get used a lot.

@MazeFrame

Thanks for your time, I look forward to discussion.

On a sidenote, I would really appreciate being allowed to use white space to pad text. I’ve wasted time formatting this document to allow for readability despite the limitations, however it would be nice to use more than a single space in certain instances.
I have other recommendations also but I should probably save this for a separate post elsewhere. :heart:

unimportant garbage: There’s a lot of garbage talk about DIPCHIPS and random crap like that. I wrote that to help me write and was going to swap it out but y’know it’s easier just to make excuses for not cleaning up the post down here, so here I make excuses. Sorry for not making sense.

It looks like it’s just reflection from the pads, any SOIC/DIP adapter will just need some pin headers soldered through the holes in the sides.

If you’re not inserting and removing too many times. The connection is just friction fit contact on contact, so it can wear out if stuff is inserted/removed too many times. An alternative would be a ZIF socket or some pogo pins, depending on what would be more functional.

Just my opinions anyways.

If I understood your brief correctly, you want a socketable 1.27mm SMT in 2.54mm DIP?

I would recommend you solder the SMT to the board you linked,
then solder 4 pin connectors to it, and stuff that into a spring (not precision) IC socket:
SMT%20to%20DIP

Depends. I have seen IC sockets wear out and get flaky over time (especially with analogue signaling).
You might want to look for “zero insertion force” sockets. They are kind of rare in 8 pin configs, but they will not wear out as quickly as spring IC-sockets

These are evil and should burn in hell!

Good lord yes! had to not only use them but also clip them into groups of two to fit inside Cherry switches… Never again.

ZIFs it is. Thanks.

Correct, for that ebay listing it would be that pitch.
That drawing what I intend for the friction mount method :slight_smile:

The smallest ZIFs sourced locally are 20pin or so, so I will try breaking it down in size. I might dissolve half of a ZIF in acetone - allowing me to pick away the unnecessary metal skeleton left behind (but ZIF sockets aren’t that cheap…)

I have a bunch of unknowns floating around but I will have to just try and see. ¯\__(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for your recommendations. This thread will be updated later on.