IBM Acquires RedHat

IBM’s net worth is in the $170 billion range. It remains a very large corporation. What’s changed is a few companies like Apple and Amazon have ballooned to huge net worth.

IBM sold its PC division years ago to Lenovo. IBM was first to market with Intel desktop PC’s running DOS. The Intel PC architecture in use today was shaped by the needs of Windows once that OS began to dominate. IBM stayed too long with its own PC architecture, pushing OS/2, and missed the cheap-as-possible commodity Windows PC boat.

The Red Hat acquisition is all about cloud and only incidentally about Linux. Scuttlebutt says IBM is strong on sales while Red Hat has been not-so-strong. I’d expect to see IBM push hard on Red Hat sales.

The reasons Red Hat sponsors Fedora remain, no matter who owns Red Hat.

That announcement would probably turn me in to an IBM fanboi. There are only a handful of CEOs that really manage to inspire me, and Jim Whitehurst is definitely one.

2 Likes

It will be interesting what happens internally, Bryan Lunduke mentioned that Watson is/was built on SUSE rather than RHEL; and then I saw an IBM employee on Twitter, saying:

So it sounds like there is quite a mix of distros internally; again, interesting to see what will happen.

Cannonical’s Statement on the merger

Rather snarky, boiling down to: “thank you for all you’ve done Red Hat, but you’re irrelevant and we’re already well on our way to stealing all your customers”

1 Like

I would buy it from Canonical if they had the developer community quality of Fedora…And i do not think they do. But that needs the extra mile on community catering that cannonical has not done yet imo.

Who the fuck wants to run ubuntu servers CentOS or RedHat would be my options

SEE a few more posts ahead before you respond (reading is hard mkay)(#obviousBaitisObvious)

We have a product that runs on Ubuntu. The difference in how it’s managed isn’t really significant. Some of us prefer apt over yum, too :wink:

3 Likes

Way not to take the bait /s Honestly If your gonna run linux you cant use the kmart brand of Ubuntu and be a sweet hipster. But yeah not really a lot of difference. You ever have to use support contracts on either wonder how they compare.

1 Like

Nah, when someone needs support on the Linux servers they call DevOps (my team lol).

I do what I can :grin:

1 Like

My company was testing RHEL at some point as a replacement for windows 7.
I found out when I was at the office in a small meeting room and one of the PCs were running rhel, sadly you needed special access for it so I didn’t get to take it for a spin.

Anyways two years later some Microsoft official must have whispered some nice words in a EVPs ear cause we’ve moved to Office 365 and we’re in the process of upgrading to windows 10.

1 Like

This has happened to the U.S. Government and Department of Defense, I’m sure of it. That and CompTIA reps buttering the hands of those in office.

A buddy of mine has 15 years of experience, a Masters degree in Computer Science, and ran his own consulting firm for a while… Didn’t get hired because… He doesn’t have Security+…

What?

8570 happens and magically Sec+ becomes CE pay them money version

Also you can get other stuff besides Sec+, I use CCNA Sec now

1 Like

Interesting, good to know! I don’t think he had any certifications, nor was he interested. I just remember being baffled by the story and, when I looked at something in my area (Lockheed), they wanted A+ and Sec+.

At the time, I could have applied :grin: I think both have expired though :frowning:

On Topic I wonder if IBM requires Sec+ :thinking:

:smile:

for reference

1 Like

Interesting take on the matter:

https://purpleidea.com/blog/2018/10/30/the-end-of-a-red-giant/

1 Like

Does RHEL still use yum? I hear Fedora has moved to dnf a while ago.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: /dev/null

Removed nonconstructive posts.

I have had 1 singular interaction with RH support, and it was for Openshift (weird corner case, restricted to a single team). The tech was pretty knowledgeable about both mainline k8s and Openshift. He made some good suggestions (including a viable band-aid work around), and made for a good sounding board.

I don’t remember how we finally realized what the root cause was, but I do know he was talking through an idea, that caused me to look at the actual problem. The fact that he could easily hold a high level technical conversation about container best practices, that didn’t feel like a sales pitch, was definitely a pleasant surprise. I easily could see working with that person as a peer…which is saying a lot for most tech support teams.

6 Likes

A lot of it is also in Ubuntu from red hat.

I don’t know how true this really is, I’d question it with the only exception being some patent stuff which isn’t much.

The rest of the stuff I get though that’s just personal preference.

These days because Ubuntu uses almost al the same stuff as red hat there isn’t much of a difference anymore. Even a difference in /etc pretty much shouldn’t exist, gone are the old days of no standards.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can still use yum in Fedora too.

Supposedly, RedHat 8 is going to use dnf. I can’t find any sources on that other than lip service. I haven’t looked in a few months, though.

1 Like