IBM Acquires RedHat

I love you for this. right here. Have my babies lol

2 Likes

I’d have to talk to my wife about that but she’s usually pretty cool about this sort of thing. :sunglasses: I’m kind of a big deal at my job.

The good news is I’m as obnoxiously exuberant and intoxicating in person as I am online.

1 Like

Oh shit

Now my simple game of chess from Gnome is going to go up in difficulty

fuck

Also REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE POWERPC

@FaunCB, Do they even MAKE actual PC’s anymore? And if so, who uses them? I want one!

No…NO IBM FOR YOU…you get lenovo.

1 Like

I meant power pc… Although IBM pc would be cool too! They used to have cool looking computers!

They do but only for research labs.

Hopefully this is a good thing, and Redhat isn’t crippled due to being owned by a lumbering undead behemoth…

Redhat has a lot of support contracts. Redhat has a name in the Linux world, and plenty of people who barely even know what Linux is, know Redhat is a major player.

This is about getting an existing customer base and getting the Redhat name, imho.

1 Like

I actually came across this, from someone who is thinking that IBM might actually inherit the Red Hat CEO:

https://www.cringely.com/2018/10/29/red-hat-takes-over-ibm/

What happens to Red Hat management, for example? There are those who think Red Hat will, in many ways, become the surviving corporate culture here — that is if Red Hat’s Jim Whitehurst gets Ginni Rometty’s IBM CEO job as part of the deal. That’s what I am predicting will happen. Ginni is overdue for retirement, this acquisition will not only qualify her for a huge retirement package, it will do so in a way that won’t be clearly successful or unsuccessful for years to come, so no clawbacks. And yet the market will (eventually) love it, IBM shares will soar, and Ginni will depart looking like a genius.

…

With Whitehurst at the top of IBM, the company will not only have an outsider like Gerstner was, it will have its first CEO ever who won’t be coming with a sales background. This is very good, because IBM will have a technical leader finally running the show.

Let’s review:

Ginni Rometty is past the age where IBM likes to retire CEO’s, which is 60.

Jim Whitehurst is 51, the age when IBM likes to hire new CEO’s.

I don’t see Whitehurst moving to Armonk, I do see IBM moving to Raleigh.

I do see Whitehurst as CEO of IBM in six months or less.

Interesting stuff/theories.

That would be pretty awesome, having Deep Blue as an option.

1 Like

That’s my kind of speculation. I LOVE Whitehurst as IBM’s CEO. That’d be a really smart move.

1 Like

Hmm… So in a really really screwed up “I’m my own grandpa” way, Lenovo now owns Fedora? Wellp… I’m torn about this. Given that SUSE uses a lot of packages from them, I should have a bigger concern… But given that I switched back to Mint a while ago after I started caring more about getting stuff done than about politics I could really care less.

And that’s a good feeling to have! But hopefully good news for Fedora. IBM has always been pretty awesome about stuff like this so let’s hope for the best.

Lenovo is not part of IBM. Lenovo bought IBMs PC business from them.

1 Like

Considering I run Fedora on everything, I agree.

I worry more about Microsoft’s embrace of Linux. IBM’s desire to compete against Azure influenced this move more than anything. Will powershell be included in RHEL8? Any bets?

Not IBM directly, but Raptor in the US makes their Talos II workstation/desktops with IBM’s POWER9 processors. Technically they’re Power, since that’s the successor to PowerPC, but it’s still all backward compatible, or so I hear.

The best part is, under the OpenPOWER moniker IBM has open-sourced all of the firmware that boots the chip, down to DRAM training and the on-chip thermal control core. You can literally compile the firmware (for Talos II at least) yourself! The NIC and optional SAS controller do need proprietary firmware (not drivers), but there is already work to reverse engineer the NIC firmware.

You can read more about this on the Power Architecture thread where I sometimes nerd out.

I dont really know what to think about it.

IBM has been off my radar for a very long time as I tend to follow x64 hardware. There is a lot of good and bad to read. From Redhat the goals.

They clearly want to sell IBM hardware and optimize it for linux. From phoronix they can compete with Intel and AMD. Hay more competition is good.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-talos-2&num=1

Like many have mentioned. I care most about what happens to Fedora on desktop and the desktop innovations they work on. I would hate to see Fedora more focused on the servers versions.

I find it mildly amusing/disturbing that so many people don’t realize that IBM is a large reason that Linux, Open Source Software the Open Source Initiative and I can keep going on and on with names are dominating today because IBM has spent countless man hours and billions of dollars pushing for them for over 20 years. Not to take away from all the people also contributing to all those efforts but a large part is due to IBM stating that they were going to use Linux in Enterprise and scientific solutions and then they actually did it.

IBM hardware is literally designed to work with Linux, if you read their manuals it goes on about linux, how to set it up, how to contribute to open source, how to choose what license to release something under and what protection, liability or lack there of each affords you in an unbiased way.

Seems like a logical choice to me since a really good amount of IBM product manuals have a “Installing RHEL” section in them.

Yup. 10-15+ years ago if i’m not mistaken :smiley:

edit:

i very much doubt this is being used as a lever for “IBM” hardware (e.g., RISC based servers).

IBM are becoming more of a service company; they will put redhat on third party (maybe re-badged as IBM so they can also include that in the full support contract) boxes is my bet, and offer support contracts and full-stack IBM certified solutions for people like government agencies, hospitals, other large enterprise contracts.

i.e., they aren’t in the market to sell copies of RHEL per se.

They’re in this in order to offer a top to bottom fully IBM supported platform including the OS and cloud application(s). The OS platform is one piece in that puzzle that IBM haven’t really had since AIX died (well, i believe it is essentially dead now?) and OS2 failed.

i.e., you want to run some application for your big business or government department. You have a single source of support through IBM for the re-badged hardware, the OS platform, the application development and the cloud hosted components.

IBM have been partnering with Apple on the application development side a lot lately too. They’ve been heavily involved in swift/cloud development with Apple; IBM and Apple are going to war with Microsoft for the enterprise via cloud and mobile device.

I suspect that they’re eventually going to win out. In terms of end user devices, Microsoft is nowhere without the PC, and the vast majority of business end users simply do not need one.

What they bought and what lives is basically RHEL + whatever cloud integrator products and services, and whatever heads they could aquahire. I’m not worried about the cloud stuff, good management wouldn’t mess with what’s good.

Everything else, that doesn’t have a sales pitch for large enterprise IBM customers will likely die and will have to be reborn somewhere somehow.