IBM Acquires RedHat

Your not meant to make it pronounceable it’s redhat we’re talking about

1 Like

Yeah lets do it! :smiley:

I allready have my Red hat on.

Hmm. Makes me wonder as normally companies are bought or traded for their assets.
If IBM felt this was a purchase that could be profitable, RedHat is either going to see some significant changes to increase revenue or be traded off after some valuable assets have been absorbed by IBM.

What i have read about in the news, is that IBM’s goal is to become the biggest player in the cloud storage market.
But i’m not fully sure how realistic that would be with the purchase of Red hat.

Although not in the news often like aws things like open shift is pretty big in a lot of places.

IBM will be able to take those technologies and sell managed services on top of them

1 Like

Yep i guess that is their ultimate goal.
I personally think that this a very smart move from both parties.
Because they now are going to be a serious contender to Google and Microsoft.

I wonder what this will mean as far as RH certs will go in the future.

I see many ppl celebrating but i am more worried than anything else.

1. The fact that the employees and the community, i assume, were a bit sidetracked when it came to the decisions.
  2. The fact that i see the IBM culture and Red Hat culture do not seem to match very well
  3. Red Hat is claiming that IBM is committed to the GPL/open source mission but IBM is known to prefer closed environments and just give lip service to the open source standards. In the end of the day what is stopping IBM to back down from these commitments 5 years in the future if they see fit. Red Hat would never do cause the community through fedora was a vibrant defense mechanism. IBM management will not feel the same pressure to care.
  4. The fact that IBMs motivation does not seem to be a greater vision for the market but just a push to enter a market to finally show profit. It feels that they literally bought up a profitable company to balance out the books.
  5. Red Hat was fine. Developing and expanding at a reasonable pace without having to screw up with clients or users. Now the leadership just accepted the offer not cause of a specific plan they had that could not do otherwise but just because it was an offer too good to refuse. This does not scream long term planning to me or commitment to the users.

Red Hat have been of the best examples of a company that constantly develops and be very profitable, yet doing so with relatively ethical behavior and constantly providing public code for everyone to use. One of the best examples of community/industry interaction and cooperation.

Consolidated under such a traditionally structured big company that requires profits far beyond what ethical business allows you to attain is not the best prospect. I would hate to see what is accomplished to wither and the community to have to start from scratch.

4 Likes

Why spread FUD and fret about something that will not happen?

CentOS /RHEL can’t become “proprietary” as long as FOSS licensing exists and they remain Linux distributions.

If it made financial sense to sell a desktop OS, Microsoft wouldn’t have given away free updates to Windows 10. The same reality that pushed Red Hat to abandon the shrinkwrapped Linux market 16 years ago still exists: You can’t sell a retail product while you’re simultaneously making it available at no cost.

Fedora has made strides toward acceptability as a stable desktop. But, it remains Red Hat’s development arm, and the 6-month release cycle is not conducive to widespread acceptance by ordinary users. RH and Fedora have no incentive to do a Fedora LTS.

RHEL/CentOS can be adapted for desktop use by savvy users willing to use third-party repos. But, as they age into their 10-year-lifecycle, keeping them current as desktops becomes increasingly difficult.

This is a huge misstep by IBM. They paid billions of dollars for a RHEL support organization.

RedHat doesn’t have any special cloud knowledge or IP, Openshift lost in the market to k8s, they don’t control Openstack, flatpak is desktop crap, and coreOS rkt is interesting but certainly not competitive with Docker and indeed may never be.

Openshift is built on top of k8s. It’s pure augmentation of mainline k8s. Not sure it’s possible to lose to something youre constantly rebasing from.

Yes, it lost to mainline k8s. I don’t know of anyone paying for openshift or using OKD, while everybody and their pet potbelly pig are using straight-up k8s.

To be clear, I’m sure some people are using it. There’s no need to list examples. It just isn’t competitive, and it’s perplexing why IBM would pay billions of dollars for it.

I use it on the daily, and everyone I know who runs their own k8s infastructure opts for OKD/OpenShift for no other reason then you don’t have to mess with anything, specifically flannel/openvswitch/calico.

Once you go from devs building their own snowflake dockerfiles to a ops/engineering managed s2i builder, you’ll never go back to straight k8s, unless youre using GKE/AKS or the like. Even then, I still pipeline all of my teams builds through s2i so I don’t have to train docker.

sorry for off topic-ish but had to share

6 Likes

1 Like

Fedora and Ubuntu are the only two distros I will use. I can’t say that I am happy about this nor can I cay that I am unhappy. This is a change. Change denotes neither bad or good. It merely means that it is now different. I’ll just wait and see.

give them couple years, see if they can clean this up.

Am I the only one worried about this considering IBM’s history?

IBM used to be a HUGE company, and were the pioneers in Personal Computers. But because of mismanagement they got rid of their personal computer division IIRC.

I’ve constantly read in the years since the late 80’s about how IBM’s name has slowly dropped out of the public conciousness, or has ended up killing projects they’ve bought, or started due to bad management decisions.

I’m surprised daily that IBM is still even around.

Am I right to be skeptical about all of this?

2 Likes

No, some people in my circle are concerned about IBM killing RedHat’s culture.

For sure. I’m in the “wait and see then fork it then refactor then get the khakis THEN WE GET THE CHICKS AWWWW YEAH DIDN’T SEE BASEKETBALL REFERENCE COMING DID YOU TOP 10 AKA TOP 5 OF ADMINDEV’S TOP MOVIES HELL YEAH REDHAT 4 LYFE”

._______. Sorry

2 Likes