I7 running too hot?

Hello, I recently put together an intel core I7 Z68 system with an h70 liquid cooler im getting Idle temps of 40 and on prime 95 at 100% i get 99c, in the bios the pump is running at 100% all the time, its in a push/ pull configuration, I have tried to reseat it I have also removed and reapplied thermal paste it has made no difference so what i tried was to try the stock cooler that also is running idle at 40c can someone helpp please ??

what thermal compound are you using?

and when you took the heat sink off to change it, did it have full coverage on the top of the chip set?

at first it was the standard one which is pre applied after that i used EVGA frost bite saw no differrence yes the cpu and heat sink were both adequately covered.

you have the h70 connected to your motherboard right???

yes

Is there another power connector to the pump ? If so, try it out. Some motherboards 3-pin fan connectors are too weak to drive a pump.

I doubt the CPU would even operate at 99c, so it could be a faulty sensor. Does the heatsink feel hot/warm (it should do)

Welcome to razetheworld too :)

thank you :) and haha i dno even on my motherboard LED it shows 99c the pump runs on a 3 pin from the mobo as told by corsair and is running at 1430rpm

Have you overclocked the processor?

nope no overcloking at all everything at stock.

It sounds like the motherboard might just be reading the temperature wrong because there is no way you should be getting those temperatures. Have you tried updating the motherboard's bios?

yh the motherboards bios is currently at EVGA's A05 um tomorrow I will get a temprature monitor and puyt it near the cpu while runnig prime 95 to see if i get anywhere near 90 fingers crossed the sensors are screwed up and if they are does EVGA return it for me ?

Have you tried plugging the h70 pump into a molex connector, so it can get a constant and reliable 12 volts straight from the psu? I also have a H70 running on an i7 920 and plugging the pump into a better power source so it could operate correctly dropped temps by a few degrees.

I'll try and get on that when i get my thermal paste removal crap but where wud i get this 3 pin to molex from ?

I just used a 3 pin to molex that came with a fan I bought. However any local pc shop should sell you one for a couple of dollars.

Harveer said:

I'll try and get on that when i get my thermal paste removal crap but where wud i get this 3 pin to molex from ?

All you need to remove thermal paste is some rubbing alcohol and a cloth. The TIM removal solution stuff is just a marketing gimmick in my opinion.

Vortex said:

All you need to remove thermal paste is some rubbing alcohol and a cloth. The TIM removal solution stuff is just a marketing gimmick in my opinion.

agreed, but I use q-tips (I can never think of the name for them) although you probably be easier with cloth and not 30 Q-tips

re-apply paste, flash bios, make sure fan speed on your pump header is at 100%.

All will be well with the cosmos.