i7-8809G vs i7-8709G

Hey,

I’m quite interested in the new HP Spectre x360 15 coming out this March (I really like the looks of it)

So I’m looking at these two chips and only the CPU max turbo clock speed seems to be different.

I know that these the CPUs are binned, so is it reasonable to assume that the higher binned 8809G would require less voltage for the same clock speed?

Even so, what kind of real world performance difference should I expect, if any?

The 8809G is overclockable(CPU and GPU), that’s the difference.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks.

I suppose for a laptop then the 8809G it doesn’t make much sense.

Yup, confirmed. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

(Off topic) Holy scheisse, 100W TDP in a thin laptop.

NB: Is it just me or does this seem insane? The predecessor, the spectre from last year with for instance an i7-8550U has a TDP of 15w, add to that the TDP of either the Nvidia GeForce MX150 with a TDP of 25w or the GeForce 940MX with a TDP of 15-30W. Worst case scenario is 45W in all. That is a long way from 100W in the same case. I suspect they have access to black magic if they make the new i7’s run at max capacity. Or am I missing something?

Yeah. Though, I just love the sexy design of it.

The fact that it can play games, rotate, has a touch screen and you can use a pen on it is just…

I love this thing xD

Hmm… I don’t know what to make of that.

Either the CPU will run at full power or Vega is drawing a lot of power. I was under the impression that Vega was not that bad at lower voltages. Saw a few people undervolting their Vega 56 and 64s with dramatic decrease in power consumption.

Either way, I’m not buying this thing until I see some good reviews.

Reasonable :slight_smile: