I want to learn about Mining, where to start?

I don't know shit about mining, nor about miners. I know CGMiner and MacMiner, I know roughly how to use litecoinpool, and I know roughly how the chain works. But I know fuckall anything else.

I want to mine with my 580 I think. I have a nice big 8GB unit and having some cryptocurrency spare would be nice. I at one point had 2 whole bitcoin that someone gave me off IRC but I have lost it somewhere. Oh well lol.

So, what should I know?

1 Like

Not sure if you are talking about the general algorithm behind it,
This is a technical explanation

Simple explanation

Here

If you are doing etherum, check out
1 Like

I just started learning about it while trying to learn about Iot and blockchain.
Never even knew Fintech was a word.

Unrelated but you said 580 so you might like this: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-580-dx-12-benchmarks-geforce-384-76-geforce-400-500-series-direct-x-12/

I just want my machine making me some bank and I want to know what I have to do to make it all go. Lol.

1 Like

That's what I was thinking, which currency are you thinking of mining?
If etherum, follow the guidelines above
If Bitcoin here, guy explains how to setup, and if you dislike the voice everything is in the description

Well so far I'm downloading the last 3 months of ethereum crap onto my laptop before I can make my wallet and mine. That'll be done sometime mid-day tomorrow.

The shit part is I'm probably going to make a backup offline wallet on my netbook to dump ETH into when I have this all going again.

I'm annoyed that this download is taking so damn long just to have my wallet :expressionless:

@bedHedd help D:!!!

your on linux right(going to assume so)?

• you have already updated the drivers for your video card as well?
  • Do you have a similar looking files to windows(ignoring the log files)?
  • If everything matches, open the config.txt file and add the following commands

-epool eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999 // sets up the pool to mine for
-ewal 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX // this is your primary etherum wallet, make sure to replace the 0xXXXXX with your wallet number
-epsw x // I believe this is what shows up in your nanopool profile as worker X
-dpool stratum+tcp://sia-eu1.nanopool.org:7777 // I believe this is also part of the mining pool operation
-dcoin sc // not sure just followed the config from the thread
-dwal 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX // this is your backup/secondary wallet
-dpsw x // your name that shows up as secondary wallet

My drivers are built in and yeah I have all of that.

Following commands

commands

yeah was in the middle of adding commands if you want I can message you on discord?

Here is my config

export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
./ethdcrminer64
-epool eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9999
-ewal 0xa42159136962ddc729ce2cef206abba740965c44.Ph4nt0M/[email protected]
-epsw x
-mode 1
-ftime 10

Thats in start.sh, not in the actual config. When I run it it tells me it doesn't know where any of it is. ??????

comment out/remove the gpu force, when I originally put it into my config.txt it was screwy

Yeah but it still kicks out the same errors.
This is fucking stupid how does anyone use this in linux jesus fuck.

dunno i was running it on windows, I was going to experiment with linux, but i got lazy with drivers and other stuff

The drivers are built in to the kernel now its less hassle.

I'll just stick to litecoin fuck this shit. No one has clear documentation on any of this crap this is literally worse than the ubuntu wiki.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.msg16395925#msg16395925
some one had a similar issue where the system had gpus but the miner did not detect it
now to find the solution to that

The second link seems to have a fix, see if you can follow similar steps but for arch

broken quote is broken

are you getting similar problems with windows?

1 Like

rip @FaunCB
at the very least did you see the link posted(that is not spoilered)?

1 Like

Yeah. I think I'll get back on arch so all my multimedia stuff works first, then figure out ethminer. Claymores just does not work correctly, and there has to be a reason for it. I'll fuck around with it later but its not worth my time to keep running into the wall, especially when I have to start wock on benching my 580 fully now that kernel 4.12 is out.

1 Like

worst case scenario is you bring windows out shudders or you do a pass-through and try to mine in the vm