I want an actual mic that isn't 250 dollars

quick and dirty mic demo
uncompressed wav

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ebpFM_oNkisGzmE4ay2v4TmAf_0Wx-Vu/view?usp=sharing

in order of appearance:

sE Electronics T2
Shure SM57
EV RE50B
Schoeps MK41/CMC6U

did not use any effects, save for a brickwall limiter at the tippy top, but I don’t think anything hit it. also some very subtle gain to roughly match the levels but mostly untouched.

also don’t run excessively long cables or run them alongside power. i did so you might hear the interference; note though that if you can hear environmental noise, that means it isn’t being masked by shitty hardware noise.

1 Like

Also make sure you’re getting good grounds for the shielding. I did not and inadvertently played a radio station over teamspeak. 10/10

3 Likes

Was it a good radio station at least?

It was a talk station, so I’m going with no.

Was there talk of chem trails?

1 Like

I dont know, I didnt get to hear any of it.

Yep
I picked up some construction guys’ radios on a guitar amp once.

I’m not familiar with the YouTube Channel format you mentioned, but you can get great simple sound using a audio technica 803 lav mic paired with a little Tascam DR-10x.

Record 24-bit wav… add 3-4x compression and your pretty much all set. That’s probably about the cheapest pro-setup.

Video essays essentially.

Ok been going over this. I might do a USB one after all. I’m not doing anything pro, and the portability will be nice.

People recommend Blue on Reddit. Are they really all that great? I know theres good ones from Sennheiser.

Blue’s USB offerings are ubiquitous because they are accessibly inexpensive and because Blue already had a reputation making high end mics for music. Personally, I think the Yeti sounds very poor, so I’d look for generic copies; i.e., how much worse can they be? They are all cheap electret capsules disguised as LDCs anyway.

Oh and don’t use a lav, if you can avoid it. They are fine for backup and portability if you need wireless, but they sound awful compared to a mic out front of you. You don’t listen to people by sticking your ear on their chest or side of their face. The placement is decidedly inferior; it gives you a nasty, throaty low-midrange, and any lav under $300-400 is a much greater offender of this.

1 Like

IMO, no. If you can get the snowball on a good sale then its probably not that bad… but its big, ugly, and doesnt sound any better than other cheap USB mics in its price point.

I got this on a sale for 35 and just bought a cheap ass neewer arm and called it good.

2 Likes

If your room isn’t treated for sound / if you have background noise from computers, traffic or whatever, I would strongly suggest using a dynamic instead of a condenser mic.

Can I get a demo of the sound?

I live in the middle of nowhere and I’m on laptops now. I don’t have that much sound.

Another good cheap one that I don’t see mentioned is the Samson Go Mic.

Thats the little silver bullet shaped one yeah?

I’m feeling lazy, want to just get on discord?

1 Like

Heard some good stuff about that one. Only down side is the stand. It can be mounted to an arm but its weird af.

Might.

Message me.