I want a smaller phone, recommendations?

Hey level1techs,

I have an OnePlus 5T, and I’ve had it for two years. In general, I’m pretty happy with it. My biggest complaint about the device is the size. There’s minor gripes, the most recent update to Android 10(? OxygenOS 10) broke my preferred keyboard and that’s frustrating. Pretty much, the phone is adequate, I just want a smaller one with hopefully less minor software frustrations.

Unfortunately, it seems like smaller form factors are uncommon, besides on budget phones with significantly weaker specs. And a lot of phones that are smaller in width/height are larger in thickness. I’d like for the phone’s entire volume to be smaller if possible.

Samsung’s newer, smaller phones are appealing, but the S20(“e”) gives up their headphone jack and that’s actually useful for me when I use my phone as a secondary camera with a mic. Their specs are comparable or better than my current phone and their screens are really nice.

My digging on different phone search sites that support dimensions haven’t led me to anything else that seems particularly promising. Do you have any suggestions?

I’d be purchasing from the Chinese market, most likely. Buying from an online seller is an option, but shipping and duties might make that unreasonable. From what I can tell, Samsung devices here have Snapdragon chips, but may(?) have unlocked bootloaders.

i might not bring much here, but the headphone jack will be hard to find.
There is almost no “flagship” with a headphone jack anymore, outside of LG maybe.
So that and a “small” phone will be niche, and you will have less software support because of it.

Honestly what i could recomande especialy if you don’t do very demanding task on your phone, is to get an old one from samsung. A S series old enough to have a jack and be small, but with ongoing support from the ROM community.

That way you have the latest OS update, on a good enough device (surely less powerful than your actual)

After re-reading , you will also loose in camera quality. That might be a no go for you…

1 Like

It’s not a bad idea to consider older budget options.

Ultimately, I already have my currently phone and could just turn it into my dedicated “budget backup camera” and leave it with my camera stuff.

As long as my phone works as a daily driver (and I’m trying to use it less), I don’t mind “downgrading,” it’s just hard to appreciate what I’ll be losing with downgrading and I would like for my phone to have a nice display.

Older, cheaper phones do tend to have bulkier form factors, though.

There are a few compromises, but would an OPPO A52 suit?
It’s 6.4 inches which is big and not what youre looking for but it does have good camera’s and a headphone jack

The main thing I care about is having a smaller phone, and that one appears to be larger in every dimension so it’s not a consideration.

Anything under 6" is gonna limit your options a lot.
Especially if you want a headphone jack (those are unfortunately a dying feature cause BT buds).

Kimovil has a nice sorting thingy where you can select the features you want.
I went with >FHD res, < 6", Android 10, > 4GB ram, >64GB storage + SD card, headphone jack and these are the results.

While I dread it, I personally gave up on the headphone jack even though I hate dongles. But it gave me so much more phones to choose from.
Maybe get a cheap portable music player (upside is the audio is probably a bit better and listening doesn’t drain your phone’s battery).

i would look into a second hand S8 or S7. Oled screen are still wonderful and samsung phone have usually a lot of rom, maybe android 11 :smiley:

Pixel 4a… Smaller and has a headphone jack. Also has a rear mounted fingerprint sensor so you won’t have to relearn the muscle memory. Oh and It’s newer too.

Check out this site for size comparison.

1 Like

iPhone SE, best you can get.
Great performance, updates for five years, excellent battery life, small size.

You can for iphones or microsoft phones. They comes in different version which are handy.

Those are dead, Jim.

1 Like

I like the Pixel 4a recommendation, and I like the idea behind Pixels from a software standpoint. I don’t like that it’s almost a whole millimeter thicker than the OnePlus 5T, but I’ll see if I can find a chance to handle one and see how that feels in the hand/pocket.

I’m really disappointed there wasn’t a S20e this year, because the S10e is significantly smaller than my phone (and only ~0.6mm thicker) and it has a headphone jack. It’s the phone I’ve been considering over and over.

1 Like

Windows phone died, but pretty sure MS are looking to make some Andriod phones

yeaaa … “Phone”

With their O365 bits, something more like a chrome book starts to make sense

As a direction. I don’t think Google need to be worried for a while

Agrees with iPhone se. I’m not a fan of apple products - 1st one I’ve ever paid for and used on a regular basis. But I got sick of large phones and it was (a few months ago) really the only decent choice. Thought I would end up regretting it but I don’t.

Yes, you can check their versions and old blackberry phone also was very small and of high qualities. I don’t know why blackberry don’t update their version.

Didn’t BlackBerry/Research In Motion get gobbled up by a large company and stripped of all assets?
And welcome back to the forum, I see you’re back with a passion :slight_smile:

You can try SAMSUNG A40. It is smaller and has good features.