I Want a New Pair of Speakers

So, I'm looking for a good pair of passive speakers for a 2.0 setup. I've already got a receiver, I just need some good bookshelf speakers. Don't wanna spend more than 175 for the pair though.
Any suggestions?

Are they going to be for desktop use or more for a home theater setup?

Larger speakers can be a bit too much for nearby listening, but smaller speakers can be underwhelming at a distance.

If it's a home theater style setup it's hard to beat the Dayton B652 or B652 Air for the money. They hit above their price bracket in sound quality and they're a budget favorite. I would not use them on a desk or otherwise extremely close because they can be a little overpowering.

Going slightly smaller there are the Polk T15. They are a decent balance between desktop and home theater use and should be fine in either role.

One step smaller again there is the Micca MB42X. Very nice for desktop use, but the small woofers will lose out at longer distances.

2 Likes
1 Like

+1 on the PolkAudio ones

Very good value for money, obscene good value for money!

Beware though: not only speakers have a certain character, also amps/receivers have that!

It's always better to try it out on your amp, with your music, before you buy!

Yeah, there's that too. Even just changing a couple caps in the analog path to a different brand can change the sound signature ever so slightly. I've seen my fair share of people absolutely losing their minds when it comes to re-capping their amps on the audiophool audiophile forums.

1 Like

As such caps of the same kind don't make a difference, but the problem with people recapping is that they are not used to hearing their amp with caps that don't leak lol. Old caps lose their spec. A lot of old "revered" amps still used paper wrapped caps, there is a good chance those were never at spec to begin with. Modern low tolerance audio caps are mostly spot on and have a long lifespan and good and fast performance. Some liked the sound of bad performance better lol

1 Like

Ah, should have specified. It will be for desk use.
Thanks for the suggestions.