I just bought the ASUS Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 for $275.00. I play Planetside 2 (PS2) and the day after I bought this card, Nvidia released a video of PS2 with the new PhysX. It looked so amazing and I was kicking myself for not spending the extra money to get a 670 or 680 for the PhysX. My friend told me that I can use a lower end Nvidia card with PhysX and use it as a PhysX card only while still using the 7950 as the GPU. My Questions are:
1) Has anyone done this before?
2) How well did it work?
3) What Nvidia card should I look at for a stand-alone Physx card?
4) What, if any, are the benefits of using a better Nvidia card like the 670 then a lower one like the 550ti or the 9800 GT?
5) Is there anything else I should know before attempting this?
Thanks for the help in advance!
Ok Il do this in a speed round answer thing: GO!!
3. Look for 9600 gt
4. No it's only physx so it will work the same, having higher powered cards for physx is not recommended. More power consumption... Get a 9600 gt (as stated above)
5. To be sure get a 650w psu
45 seconds, new world record!!!
Wait, So I have a 6670 that I am using right now. I have a spare GT 520, could I use that for Physx?
Thanks! my friend has a 9800 that he was going to let me test with once the 7950 got here. i look forward to awesome graphics. i'll post on this thread with benchmarks (with and without the physx card) once i'm done.
If I remeber correctly you will need hybrid drivers though, let me see if I can find a link to the guy who is now mainting said drivers.
Here we go http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html
Give that a good read.
i finaly got my evga 9600 installed for my hybrid... and Planetside2 uses physx3... has anyone seen a hack for it? this was the only reason i got the 9600. HELP!
specs: amd 8350, asus 7950 dcu2, evga 9600 gt, 16gb g.skill 1866, windows 7 home prem.