Return to Level1Techs.com

I Use Windows

windows
powershell
dotnet

Title.

This is going to be a thread of me using Windows. Primarily for networking and infrastructure, to get my chops back (I’ve spent almost two years in a 100% Linux environment), but the last stretch of this is going to have some Docker, IIS, .NET, and .NET Core on the software side.

I am going to document my process to get some practice, feedback, and hopefully corrections and best practice/real world application advice.

The basic stuff: Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, VLAN, Routing, Load Balancing, File Server, User and Group Management, lots of POWERSHELL, some Azure but most of it is going to be running on VMware Workstation on my battlestation.

The programming side is going to be a UWF (I can never remember what it’s called, whatever the Windows desktop application side is abbreviated as), C# and AngularJS, .NET Core console stuff (interfacing with the GUI stuff, hopefully, not sure how it works right now tbh), and deploying via Docker and IIS. Probably going to throw in some Apache and Nginx too.

My primary goal is to get comfortable behind PowerShell and and get a better grasp on C#. This includes the weird OOP stuff like Generics, getters/setters, to stuff like multidimensional arrays, reading from and writing to files, Lists, LinkedLists, otherBuzzWords – I guess it would be OtherBuzzWords because apparently C# capitalizes shit lol.

NO MORE UNDERSCORES. Sadmindev is sad.

So, fuck it, here’s a Hello, World! that isn’t Hello, World! because Hello, World! is stupid.

10 Likes

A use Windows challenge? I’m in.

5 Likes

Why would you use windows instead of Linux, do you like to oppress freedom?

BTW I use arch.

/s

Anyways, interesting to see some of this stuff on windows, I only know how to ping in command prompt.

6 Likes

We do have that Linux terminal wiki. A windows power shell and windows terminal wiki would be :fire:

2 Likes

According to Zed Shaw, FOSS/FLOSS culture is FASCISM

According to Linus Torvalds, he supports people locking down hardware, because that’s their choice.

He also gave FSF and RMS the middle finger

/shitposting :wink:

Ha! That is something that is good to know :grin: Hoping to learn and demonstrate a deeper skillset here, so stay tuned!

Really waiting for the new Windows Terminal to come out. The color schemes and transparency looks epic. And their documentation is always top notch with those kind of things.

3 Likes

NOT MINE

Pretty slick, though.

I have a backup just in case :grin:

The reason for the high RAM :wink:

2 Likes

Linux users make DEs look like windows.

Windows make theirs look like linux terminals.

:thinking:

1 Like

:joy: It’s a Mad World™

I prefer my PoSh to be White on Black, though

1 Like

Yeah because no one likes extreme radicalism

1 Like

yUlL nEvEr NeEd MoRe ThEn 16 giGs Of RaM

1 Like

Gonna have to start killing some things before too long, lol. Windows Server 2012 R2 on 512MB of RAM is … atrocious. Brb removing GUI

FYI for anyone interested, I don’t think this works on anything beyond Server 2012 R2 but you can run it in PowerShell:

Remove-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell -Restart

And when you come back online you’ll have Server Core.

The -whatif flag is fun, too :wink:

1 Like

Going with Windows over pfSense. Lord gif me stren

3 Likes

wew lad… wew… I SAID FUCKING WEW

LAD YOU NEED TO WEW RIGHT NOW… LAD, LAD WEW, LAAAAAD.

5 Likes

Ayyy lmao it lives:

“I use Windows to get all of my networking and routing done.”

- Some Linux Guy

3 Likes

if that fucking works well I’m going to lose my shit.

2 Likes

what happened to BSD challenge?

1 Like

Still a thing

But I gotta get paid lol.

1 Like

u chose money over my friendship then

8 Likes

6 Likes

Cot dayum I suck at networking. But, it works!

0 Likes