I think vs. I know

Well unless you are google or microsoft.

Isn´t YouTube technically a Beta-build?
Isn´t Microsoft a junk yard of good ideas implemented bad?

Very true....but that is a judgment based on how you are perceived and not by your peers but by the herd, take Albert Einstein there are those including his peers that thought he was a real loon, but guess what.

"Gott wĂźrfelt nicht." (=God does not roll dice) - A. Einstein
Well, some say he does.

Honesty is the best policy. I'm usually pretty humble with my knowledge (usually). Most things I reply to are usually things I have dealt with, if I don't have experience on said topic I still like to read them out of pure curiosity.

This kind of grammar is at least telling who ever is reading that "this is my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt". I've dealt with a lot of technicians who BS around, and nothing irks me more than someone stating their BS as fact.

Basically sums up my thoughts.

2 Likes

Typically I will reply to a topic that i have a working knowledge of when nobody else has stated what I would. In these instances I always disclose that I'm no expert so take my thoughts with a grain of salt and wait for someone more knowledgeable than myself to come confirm or refute my theory. It's important for me to let them know that I have limited knowledge on the subject so that they don't go ahead and run with my idea in the event that I'm wrong and do irreversible damage to something.

I understand where you're coming from, but the point I was trying to make is "Saying" you have 15 years of experience and actually working 15 years in the field is different.

i'll give you an example to show MY point.

You've taken a Math course throughout most of your life yes? public school, middle school, high school, and college. Since i've done math most of my life I could tell you I have 18 years of experience working with Math. (just using my age as an example. I'm 22 and I've been in school since I was 5). does that mean I know math better than you cause you've done it for 2 years? no. what's important is how well you know something.. and you don't need years of experience to prove your worth.

1 Like

I understand.....in that context what your saying makes sense.

In the work force example it shows the amount of diversity in people, some care, some care not, but that is true in every aspect of life from how you choose to live (clean home) to how much effort you put into your job, some people are happy just skating through life others have a passion for what they do or how they chose to live, (we use to call this keeping up with the Jones).

Lawrence Krauss said during a video I was watching the other day that "There are things most physicists know, and sometimes their right". This sort of thing seems to be especially true when "experts" try to explain away a complicated phenomenon or forecast the likely future. There seems to be a confluence of the facts that they know to be true because of their schooling and systems of inference and analysis they can put together because of their experience. But facts are facts and knowledge is knowledge. Understanding a system and understanding how it will behave under every influence forever and eternity are two very different things. Its easy for a non-expert to be convinced by an expert but the expert doing the convincing needs to decide how far to take things. Do they stop with listing off facts or do they go deeper and explain the way that THEY interpret the facts, and what they think the facts mean about what may come to pass or be true.

Bullshit. In many colleges/universities producing research and being published goes hand in hand with teaching, and keeping your job. Especially in the sciences.

Anecdotal evidence is ancedotal...

I had an "I told you so" situation happen to me today.

The only sport I follow is Formula 1 and F1 is in trouble. Everyone is running about willy nilly like a chicken with their heads cut off trying to fix the problems. The administrators make rule changes every year to try to make the racing better for TV. Of course this is a source of constant arguing among the fans. I proposed the best thing would be to simplify the rules and reduce the wings (downforce) and got called an idiot. I was merely making a guesstimation.

Today a team of engineers that did the research for the Federation International de Automobile said the same thing. The problem is a car in front messes up the air for the car behind and they can never get past. But the experts were ignored and the FIA went the other way, to make the cars faster and more complex with big expensive wings. Yes, the cars will be faster but the show will be worse because no one will be able to pass. A race becomes a 2 hour conga line. The drivers know this. The teams know this. The rule makers don't have a clue. The FIA "thinks" they have a solution, but they ignored the engineers they paid to "know".

2 Likes

My curiosity often compels me to find out. I am bored and like to learn so if I can help find an answer, I will share where I found it. I recently changed policy from providing spoon fed answers to I will provide the link and they can read it themselves. Kinda meet me half-way if you will.

Yes....and every teacher or collage professor is engaged in research that the end goal is to be published (usually at the sweat and hard work of the grad students.(ie research staff)..), but sure there are those working off grants like at MIT or in DARPA programs, or even medical research, bio-sciences, engineering, and most are required to get papers published in their field but by and large most are just there for the lolz. I would ask you to look at the percentages and how many are just filling a void in the staff or keeping a chair warm by publishing BS work that no one will ever read, but then I'm not a big brain with a masters degree (or a Phd) I just paid for the degree and witnessed how those people are from the inside, and how they perceived students and other faculty, your opinion and experiences my differ from mine which is fine.

Don't get me wrong teaching is a noble profession it's just that most of the teachers are lackluster in a lot of different ways, they have overly inflated egos, and become pompous with age, but hey, they are in charge of molding young minds to change the world and that is a very difficult task...just ask a parent.

You may find this interesting...

I'm in IT, and here it's more important to be confident and not use wishy washy terms, even if you end up being wrong. People don't care about the why or how of a problem, they just want you to tell them its going to be fixed.

Did sorting this out involve keeping your job? I know I probably would've lost mine if I did something like that.

Some of those guides go into production details or expand upon the plot or lore more.

1 Like

Nah, I had more tact than that. Eventually I managed to show him how good they were and his jaw hit the floor.

Irritated Response: You are implying I would not exercise tact? Some people don't care how polite and courteous you are. You give them an excuse and they run with it.

no. I had more tact than would have been involved in not keeping my job.

Some people don't care how courteous you are, sure, but luckily my boss is not one of those people. and anyway, his memory isn't good enough for it to matter anyway.