I started driving for Uber

I started driving for Uber last week and I have to say I am loving it. I was wondering if anyone else is an Uber driver or is thinking about driving for Uber. If you are thinking of driving I can answer any questions you might have. Also message me for my referral code.

How do they do taxes? Seem tricky being an independent contractor.

What percentage of the fare do you keep, and what percentage goes to Uber?

You will have to pay the taxes at the end of the year since they don't do withholding. you can log into the portal to get your 1099 form (for the US)

they keep slightly different amounts depending on what type of uber you drive and it varies a bit from city to city but but they keep about 20%

1 Like

No Worries :) Thanks for the information on percentages.

Good luck with it =) hope it will pay well

for a second job it has been great I made an extra $200 in 3 days - about $30 in gas

1 Like

If it starts at my place, gonna so apply for one. I have heard @strykerzr350 tried to apply for one but he was declined due to his car being like a taxi, which sort of made sense.

1 Like

I wanna try uber but all I have is a gasoline scooter, will that work?

Yea you will need a clean driving record and pass a background check. Your car must meet some criteria as well

4-door sedan, must seat 4 or more passengers excluding the driver

Uber car year requirements vary by city. It is currently year 2001 or newer in many cities.
NYC – 2011
Pittsburgh – 2006
Philadelphia – 2001
Chicago – 2001
In some other cities it must be 2005 or newer

No I wish I could use my scooter that would be cool

So my car has pretty much met all the requirements for Chicago. Annnnnnd Philly.

Uber also has leasing options for people that need a better car to drive I will see if I can find that info.

If you were leasing a car from Uber then that should make it tax advantageous for the Uber driver (similar to novated-leasing)

No mileage caps·Only $250 deposit*·All credit levels eligible to apply

---- from site

Every week you drive with Uber, you will earn money, and Uber will automatically deduct your weekly lease payments from the money you will receive as a partner. So as long as you drive enough hours you won't have to worry about your lease payments.
No down payment -- Xchange Leasing only requires a $250 security deposit*. Weekly payments exclude taxes and fees.

1 Like

Yea, It's also a good Idea to keep track of your mileage and your fuel purchases to write them off at the end of the year.

1 Like

So, would it be somewhat better if you buy your own car? I mean, you do have a thing called deposits you can set up to pay off your car.

Depends on if you are able to buy a car I suppose. some people have a hard time getting a car loan. plus apparently maintenance is included in this lease. I already owned my car and IMO its just better to not have a payment.

Can confirm that but with New York slowly getting rid or their taxi Crown Vics they need to alter the rules. Also Mercury Grand Marquis cannot be used.