I patched the IT87 (Temperature monitoring) driver, need some help testing it

I got in touch with Guenter Roeck a while ago regarding reviewing the driver code.

Basically the ACPI resource conflicts on recent boards are still a major issue, which is hard to solve. We’d need some help from ITE or Gigabyte for a reliable solution.

The lack of independent reviewers for the hwmon subsystem is also another big issue. Him reviewing his own patches doesn’t make sense.

Furthermore the patches need a lot of work to be conforming to the kernel coding style.

Seems like we are still stuck with the out-of-tree driver for a while.

The gigabyte-wmi driver currently only reads 6 temperatures over the WMI interface.

The lack of voltage readouts and fan control is a pretty big bummer.

Does updating the bios make a difference?

Is using the IT87 driver recommended since the new gigabyte-wmi driver is still limited?

No, that wouldn’t help. They still have to work out how to read other sensor values over WMI.

You could try out the IT87 driver, but it might be unstable.

I recall that after a certain bios version I had to add the ACPI switch to my boot parameters for the IT87 driver to work properly. GB changed something in a bios revision that caused this. With my board’s original bios I did not have a ACPI conflict.

So in other words it’s useless. We will never get proper software fan control like this. It’s fortunate that hardware vendors decided to make robust fan controls for their uefi.

are there plans to work on this and update it or is this is as good as its gonna get?

Where can i see work being done on the gigabyte-wmi-driver?

Thanks in Advance

EDIT:
I found the website listing all supported motherboards
apparently i cant paste links… just replace @ with .
git@kernel@org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/platform/x86/gigabyte-wmi.c

B550 AORUS ELITE
B550 AORUS ELITE V2
B550 GAMING X V2
B550M AORUS PRO-P
B550M DS3H
Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF
X570 AORUS ELITE
X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
X570 UD

1 Like