I no longer agree with microsofts EULA and want to use linux mint

“The basic TL:DR is on windows 10 is. You don’t own the software/Operating system”

This is true with most commercial software these days, not just Windows.

As far as adding the PPA for updated kernels, just install and use UKUU for that.
Directions are here:

1 Like

Did you use the Driver Manager? From what I recall, Linux Mint had a “one click” driver management?

Reading through here, I find this thread was built on a false premise, and that there are a few conversations going on.

First, the Windows EULA has not changed since mid 2017. It also makes no mention of Microsoft taking and viewing your files.

The OP has Linux Mint installed on a laptop with an Nvidia graphics chip. He is experiencing issues with screen tearing. He also has issues with PPAs, which a separate issue that we have very little information (What PPA? How were they added?).

These two issues aside should be the focus of this discussion. I understand that the title and original post expressed disdain with Microsoft and Windows, but I think rather than arguing the merits of proprietary or open source, or misrepresenting what the EULA says, it would be best to focus on troubleshooting Linux Mint.

6 Likes

Here’s something that they place online. Data that they collect. https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us And this is just what they are telling us openly.
That is how I switched to nvidia’s driver.

The collecting of certain files on your machine would likely be used for windows defender to help them aid in mitigating certain attack vectors, not all telemetry is bad, but that is beyond the scope of what we’re trying to do here. We all have our opinions about windows and what is and is not acceptable for our uses.

The main issue, as I see it, is tearing in linux mint and that is what I’ve chosen to help with. I use mint on my laptop which is more or less the same setup as OPs (4710hq and 840m). What I listed is what I did to help fix some of my issues, which it has mostly.

1 Like

It didn’t allow me to make a change. I tried find the file and edit it that way and still nothing… how do I get root access outside of terminal?

Do ctrl+x and it should ask at the bottom if you want to save changes. Hit y and it will ask for file name. The current filename will be there already so all you do is hit enter.

1 Like

Then all I do is restart? or is it already enacted?

you will have to restart yes.

I believe OP will also have to run sudo update-grub to actually update the grub boot image.

2 Likes

You’re right. I forgot about that step.

1 Like

oops :smile:

1 Like

I still see the same tearing, what about the hardware acceleration in full screen?

Nothing they collect is out of the ordinary for a cloud based operating system. You are speculating, taking wild leaps, and perpetuating misinformation.

Microsoft does not download your data. There is no proof of this.

What specifically is tearing?

So what I think you’re saying is that I read it wrong and making a very brash decision to change what OS I’m using. In that instance, I still would like to go without Windows. Can you provide any cannon expertise in the way I can go about this?

You might also try sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel

The intel drivers have been known to cause headaches in some cases.

If the laptop has nvidia optimus (which it likely does) that might cause issues.

Edit: OP should probably update his intel graphics drivers by adding the open source driver PPA located here:

https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

And then running sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade.

Edit 2: Also add the Nvidia updated driver PPA located here:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

You got the first part right. The part above is incorrect. I don’t care what OS you use. The more using Linux the better, because the developers will get more feedback which (possibly) yields better systems. I generally dislike when people perpetuate false information that’s been disproved over and over again. It’s unbecoming of a community, a Linux community in particular, puts a bad taste in everyone’s mouth (except the people perpetuating this, which seem to thrive on it), and ruins user experience.

If the above recommendation has failed you, being Hardware Driver installation, I suggest turning off the compositor through Mint and trying to enable it via Nvidia drivers.

1 Like

it should default back to modsetting but if it doesnt work then it can be reinstalled. its still not clear what is tearing though.

There is the tear free mode suggested earlier as well that would be worth a shot.

Ah ok. I just don’t want OP to do something that would have them end up stuck in a TTY with no idea how to get out.