I need your help making a decision on which GPU I should get

Hey all, I hope I can get some help making a decision on whatever I should get an RX6800XT or an RTX3080. My main goal is to run one single gpu and basically run Pop_os as my daily driver OS. I also would like to have a Windows vm just to play my games, as well as having another OSX vm so I can run a Hackintosh vm in order to do my software development work. I know that with an RTX3080 I can’t run OSX but that can be solved by buying let say an RX570.

What would you suggest me if I was only going to run Pop_os and a windows vm for my games, would you pick an RX6800XT or an RTX3080 knowing that I don’t care about DLSS or RT as none of the games I play need that, I also don’t do any Machine Learning so far as I am just a new grad Junior Software Developer, maybe in the future but nothing in the next five years or so.

Thank you for any recommendations or suggestions.

For historic reference I would use Nvidia always as they they seemed to support linux better. But for now its not so clear.

My own system I would choose AMD. Just to try it now.

Do you have a budget for the card? Right now the 3080 will be a challenge to find. You may be able to find one on Ebay at an inflated price, but I wanted to ask before hand.

So far where I live there is a bunch of 3080TI and 3070TI available. As well as the XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 6800XT but they are selling it for 1.5K CAD which is insane, they also have the TUF RX6800XT OC GAMING for 1.3K CAD which is beyond MSRP…

I would figure out which would work best for your workflow on the day to day. While both are overpriced at the moment, they’re not too far apart. I personally am not familiar enough with Linux pass thru to say if one would be better than the other.

Intel and AMD release open source drivers for their products while Nvidia is actively hostile towards open development.

This is because they use software locks as part of their product differentiation strategy, reserving certain features for high-end datacenter cards even though consumer GPUs are often capable of doing the same things.

For historic reference I would use Nvidia always as they they seemed to support linux better.

Historically Nvidia has has had better gaming performance on Linux, but Nvidia has never “supported Linux better”.

Microsoft provides better support to the Linux ecosystem than Nvidia, and I don’t feel I’m being hyperbolic there.

I don’t care about DLSS or RT as none of the games I play need that

I strongly encourage you to watch Wendell’s assessment of FidelityFX, which is open source DLSS that everybdody can use (game devs, nvidia card users, et cetera) because of AMD’s investment in open GPU ecosystems.

tl;dr - Go Team Red!

2 Likes

EVGA 3080 HYBRID if you can find one.

Best bang for the buck atm and if you decide that youd like to play some ray traced titles out there its by far a better choice than AMD cards.

Powerful, cool and quiet backed by a company that’s U.S. based and has great customer service.

FidelityFX is not “open source DLSS” lol.

AMD all the way. Open drivers so you’re not going to get cut off when NVIDIA drop support.

I’ve had good experience with both Vega and Polaris under Linux. Haven’t tried the 6900 yet.

I am not a fan of Nvidia but the RTX audio noise remover is a cool tech to have and generally a useful thing to have. @imhigh.today does AMD have the audio cleaner equivalent as well? Its sweet to have those even for just normal voice comms.

You should only probably get the cards at or near MSRP enough.

If your running Linux, the decision is clear no?

AMD drivers are right there built in.

1 Like

With the small caveat that if you get a brand new card, you may need to run a more bleeding edge distribution, or manually update the kernel.

If you’re talking about RTX Voice, no, I don’t think AMD has an equal to that… yet.

If history is any guide, it’s in the pipeline. AMD’s TrueAudio Next SDK is looking a bit outdated, with support for DX11 and Win7.

As they replace (or update) TAN with something for DX12 and Vulkan, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t include audio denoising.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.