I Need/want to learn code. (HTML 5, Java, C++, etc...)

Hi, I am 15 and a freshman in high school. I have taken and am taking computer classes at school, but they are lame to be frank and we only use scratch at the most but I have been into computers my whole life and want to learn more than just the basics of code. I know the hardware, in fact I recently built my own pc. I just was trying to find if there were any avenues to learning code the you guys/gals would reccommend.

Thanks all,

Warren

If you want to learn the basics of Computer Scienece and programming, try Edx.org . It is an online learning program by MIT and Harvard. I did the same and it looks great for on your resume. YOu could try other online programs like Code Academy or Khan Academy which allow you to choose what you learn.

You could also look at some community colleges. Here in California, I learned Python from a community college and got college credits for the same. 

If you are willing to pay, then there are tons of Hacker Schools around. 

All the Best.

Thanks!

I would suggest that you hold off on the object oriented languages for now. Get your feet wet in HTML and CSS. You can learn those here: codecademy.com. Then to get into a language before the top end languages like Java and C++ is JavaScript. This will get you started to think logically with code to get what you want. You can also learn that at Codecademy.com. But these are Web languages, and they are completely different from C++ and Java. I suggest you learn the basics, like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Then decide what you want to do in the future, then go from there. Because Java and C++ can do different things, and they are used differently by many companies. So figure out what you want to do and decide which one.

Thanks, in the future I plan to work in the computer architechture/engineering feild. Maybe software, maybe hardware, I still don't know. Which would be better to learn for computer games and/or phone apps.

Thanks again,

Warren

+1 for codecademy.com 

I'd advise against learning Java. Its old, bloated and frankly, you don't want to go down that road in this day and age when there are much better alternatives like .net/mono or even modern c++.

JavaScript on the other hand is a great light weight tool to learn something practical and useful with virtually instant results. Especially since it has such a polished toolset. Write it in Sublime Text, Debug it in Chrome. Check out node.js, clientside frameworks like jquery etc. Its a growing field, you'll have an in demand skill and you will learn intermediate coding.

I code actively in javascript/typescript, c#, c++, f# - most fun for me is in f# and js/ts. But I recommend keeping it simple with just JavaScript/HTML when you start.

Thanks!

There is tonnes of information on loads of languages. C# is great language to start off with IMO. There is a lot it can do and is pretty "Safe". Microsoft have loads of documentaion, get used to reading offical documenst on languages it will pay off big time, covering many asspects of the language and there are a butt load of tutorials out there. 

To sum it up nicely C# is the best choice atm because it has some of the low level functionality of C++ but wont cause you to have crazy craxy errors and the higer level functions of Java and all that lovely garbage colltion that beginners tend to need. 

i would deffinity not recommend Javascript if you are serious about doing some real powerful Computer Science type programming, it also has to many bad habbits developed from "bad" programming languages. 

I'm curious why I keep seeing the recurring recommendation of HTML and CSS when learning to program on these forums.  To me, they aren't programming languages at all, but ways of formatting data.  I think recommending these langauges to people looking to program can be very misleading when trying to teach them what a programming langauge actually is.

I personally think that a scripting language like Python is the best place to start, especially since it includes an interactive envoirnment to provide real-time feedback.  This is the language my university has moved to for incoming Computer Science majors, and I would have personally prefered it to starting out in C, which is the language they had us learning when I was a freshman.

Don't get me wrong, C is great, C IS TRUTH, and every programmer should learn it eventually, but it isn't the most begginner-friendly launguage out there, and should really be learned after learning the basics of programming in another language.

However, I degress.  Many people on here mention Code Acadamy, and it seems like a decent place to start.  I would also recommend taking a look at Learning Python the Hard Way, as it is pretty comprehensive, and includes how to get a development evoirnment set up on your machine.