I need to figure something else out - Jobs, what do?

Pretty much everyone is hiring and desperate for drivers
Unrelated but on Alex Jones GCN is advertising for Linux cross-platform positions. First time I heard a Linux job being advertised on a radio show ever

3 Likes

Part time mechanic work, if it leads to being qualified could be a thing to do.

You’ll be able to fix your own cars and the internal combustion engine isn’t going away any time soon.

If you’re technically inclined, you could maybe get into ECU tuning, but it depends how much time you have for the mechanical stuff and what sort of work you’ll be exposed to there.

Of your listed options, i also think it’s likely the most stable/reliable form of income. Other than maybe the farm hand/handyman work.

Craigslist repair = risk (and if it breaks post on-sell, then guess who they call/blame?)
PC recycling = risk (and if it breaks post on-sell, then guess who they call/blame?)

Both the mechanic and farm/handyman work will give you skills you can use for your own purposes and don’t require outlay of your own money/time on hardware that may or may not be salvagable. I’m sure Louis gets paid for his time (i.e., no possibility of repair = he gets paid some amount to inspect/attempt anyway and this is agreed upon when the person drops off their machine) and has a high level of experience with this stuff.

If you don’t (and are attempting to make working hardware off random broken stuff on craigslist), you may waste hours or days for no repair, and if you’re relying on getting functional hardware at the end of it for a pay off… you might not get paid. For something you had to spend money on up front…

I’m not sure about how things are where you live, but in the first world handyman skills seem to be in short supply and tradesmen can charge pretty well these days as most people either don’t want to do it themselves or don’t feel capable…

Either way, subway is unskilled labour that will not give you a path forward. Either tradesman/handyman work or mechanical experience may lead to other better paying things. And even if they don’t the experience gained will help you with either your own house or car, etc. in the future.

Learning to code, etc. i’d be careful. Things like coding, html, etc. can easily be farmed out to China/India/etc. elsewhere. CMS solutions are getting better so that custom web design isn’t as important for the majority of small businesses as before.

Its not possible to farm out local handyman services to another country over the internet.
Ditto for mechanical work on local cars…

1 Like

Yep, what @thro says. Subway is a deadend job unless you want to open your own franchise and remain in that industry. Right now Subway is stopping you progress in other areas.

I did fixing PC’s for a while, again I have to agree with @thro I ended up hating it as people would come back to you for every little thing and it was hard to get them to pay for my time to help them. Too much stress for too little return. Better off just being a handyman who can also fix PC’s and install wifi/Cat5 all for a fixed rate of $xx per hour or $xxx per day. I was eventually charging local businesses £55 per hour and taking on work that others would not/could not do.

EDIT: I’ll just clarify, when I charged £55 per hour the offer was pay that or £250 per single 7.5 hour day. It often meant some businesses would save up things for me to do rather than keep asking me in to do small jobs here and there, and if it was just a handful if small jobs I still earned a decent day rate for less than 4 hours actual work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you thought about going balls deep into software development? I’m in the same position and don’t know what to do. Odin and the other heathens won’t help me figure it out.
I’m thinking about certain independent projects. Simple games and other complex crapola.

Are you saying this doesnt happen to mechanics too? because boy do I have news for you.

In fact pretty much everything you said minus the tradesman bit is terrible advice.

2 Likes

I hear prison guards make good money

2 Likes

I also hear prison guards make good money

1 Like

I have family in that particular field of work, its OK money considering the risk you put yourself in (depending on the prison of course). Same for police. Definitely not for the faint of heart though. You better not be soft.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhhh. In that case, I’ll probably be dead. Sad times :cold_sweat::cry::cry::cry::cry::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::face_with_head_bandage::poop:

Yes, but what I’d make no one would use. So I mean… no?

Try selling your body? Dog walking service for antisocial dogs? Nightcrawler/arson so you can take out your aggression by setting shit aflame then record it as “first on scene of all the hottest news”.

Pretty sure Aremis does not want to go to jail

1 Like

Well he should have specified then.

2 Likes

Well I tever SAID SPECIFICALLY that I didn’t.

My sex life would improve.

2 Likes

That’s the owner of the shop’s problem, and yes, they charge by the hour.

As an employee of said shop, you get a reliable pay-check, not random pay depending on whether hardware YOU HAD TO PAY FOR UP FRONT is fixable.

Mechanical stuff is a lot easier to prove/disprove blame in general.

IT stuff, especially windows, is a fucking house of cards…

Not necessarily. There is flat rate pay, which means you get a set amount to fix a specific problem. Once you know what you’re doing it can be good but things happen, such as rust. But if no jobs come in you get nothing or maybe minimum wage for the down time.

Either way, it is better than negative pay buying broken hardware and not fixing it or alternatively not being able to sell it to cover costs (including labour rate - don’t forget to value your time).

By some happenstance I met someone today who runs a financial education business. IDK if that’ll help me, but he said he knows some people he can put in contact with me.

1 Like

Would your boyfriend be ok with it though?

2 Likes

I mean I’m in prison I do what I can to survive lol.

1 Like