I need to figure something else out - Jobs, what do?

So at the end of march I started working for Subway. Its actually pretty great aside from “If you don’t cover for this person you’ll be written up”, or the imoveable schedules, or the whole my boss bitching about literally everyone when they aren’t around, but that more or less annoys me. Outside of that I really like the sales aspect and talking to the all sorts of people.

Problem is I’m a farm kid. And if I need to do something for the farm NONE of the city kids are going to budge at all. But they’re all happy as fuck to come to me with hands out looking for favors.

Yeah whatever.

Point is life is stupid hectic right now, and between family stuff, farm stuff, and the wanton to pay off college bills (about 9 grand), I don’t think subway will cut it. Problem is that anywhere I would have a better time working that I could use my skills correctly doesn’t really care because they have 800 other aspy’s applying already. Aight, makes sense. But I sure as fuck am not moving or putting animals down.

And to those in the lounge who suggested that, you are the biggest fucking assholes on the planet. My horses are my friends. you’re literally telling me to kill my friends. You kill your dog first, or your family member, then come back and we’ll have a chat (yeah they’re that important to me).

So heres the deal. I need to get out of subway ASAP. I have about 4 side jobs that I don’t have time to actually do because my parents forced me into a job. So, I need to prove to them that I can make money doing what I know how to do already. And I have a couple ideas floating already, but someone might have a better suggestion for me. IDK, and maybe I’m being whiney, but somehow tomorrow I’m supposed to get up, unload hay, get another load of hay, empty a storage unit of my grand parents shit and find someplace to put it, throw wood chips in my sisters yard, and go to work at 3. How am I supposed to do that in, at max, 5 hours if I go to sleep now?

As if I fucking know. And almost every day for the last 9 months has been this crazy.

So, heres some ideas:

1: Buy on craigslist, repair, resell.

I am seeingf a lot of dead macbooks on craigslist locally for sale (50-80 bucks) that I can go to louis rossmann’s channel to see how to debug and repair, and then sell on ebay or something. IDK.

2: Local farmhand / handyman work.

This is how I was making money before. On top of code projects, I was helping out at local farms, houses, helping around and earning money. For instance, atm I almost have a fence painted. Almost. I can get 210 for that off the pop, but no one will leave me the fuck alone long enough to finish it, or I’m exhausted on the 1 or 2 off days that I do get and I either end up doing catch up work at home or sleeping all day. But if I do jobs like this, that 210 could be 1000+ a week or every 2 weeks.

3: Local PC Recycle.

Theres actually a lot of people around my area that throw out 3rd gen i5 towers and shit that I could fish parts from. Are those proc’s worth anything?

4: Code projects + commission work.

The thing I used to do in college was help in people’s code projects for small slices of BTC (20 bucks worth), help bands out, DJ for parties, do art commissions, and this all kinda came together to, if I could keep it steady, a 10 dollar per hour job. I liked it, but it ate my time up, which is what I want to avoid.

5: Shut up and wait for the insanity to blow over.

I’m getting to the point where I just shut people out and all my interaction socially is here or customers at work. Not the uh, not the greatest. But maybe that 9 month streak is going to blow over soon?

6: Part time at mechanic shops.

Just something I could do. Its an option.

The thing is that my work schedule isn’t consistent. They give away days off and never say no, so any request I have made for a stable schedule has been met with a tirade about how I just don’t wanna work on the full days (even though I ask specifically for the heavy days). If my schedule wasn’t a haphazard BS mess and I had some time to think I’d probably have a solution. Hell I’m half thinking about just staying up tonight to get work done, being exhausted tomorrow, and telling everyone to eat my ass at work and sleep in the fridge all shift.

This shit just isn’t going to work, and for some reason the whole piling everything on me to do here at the home as well as with the family just isn’t lining up for anyone.

And really, I just wanna work on upstorm and fix my truck. Is that all that much to even ask?

And yes, I realize I am doing this right now, but I should have been in bed 4 and a half hours ago lol. So you can see where my time is going, sorta.

I don’t have much in the way of Blue Collar ideas, however, I’ve got a suggestion.

If you don’t mind staying at subway for a little bit, I’d suggest opening a freelance (web) thing in your area. I personally have never done it but I do know of those who have. Even in a city like Austin where there are HUNDREDS of web developers, they still charged and got consistent business for 1K - 2K making landing sites.

It’s also (usually) VERY easy work. Sometimes enough to just make 5 - 6 pages in straight markup, and CSS, and still a 600$ - 700$ in return.

Been thinking about starting to do it myself on the side (Even tho I make decent money, maybe retire early :stuck_out_tongue: )

Who knows, if you like it maybe you can become one of those hipsters who do it for a living. Start a blog, email list, etc, next thing you know making triple digits doing freelance.

1 Like

Ignoring your lambasting of the lounge

I think this is the worst option, waiting will not pay down your debt.

I think the handyman work that was your option is still good however you must be able to tell people no. You could (or should) even go as far to set a schedule for yourself and tell your clients you are available at X time on Y day. This should help with the exhaustion issue.

3 Likes

That is themost hilarious idea because I literally live next to the county thats all farmland and prisons.

You’d be surprised. Majority of the work is usually small businesses. Lots of farms or homesteads who might want a nice looking site.

Fuck, I’ve become an advocate for freelance. Look what you made me do.

Lol I mean I’m no web coder but I guess I can learn

I’m thinking its the best route, yeah. Even look for downed tree’s in peoples yards and offer to get rid of it for 20 bucks or something idk.

As well, I can’t tell my parents no because atm we might lose the house from what I am told if I don’t step up. I already paid half a house paybent last month.

1 Like

That requires specialized tools (hot air, soldering iron, microscope, etc) and access to stuff like schematics. Not impossible but the ceiling might be too high to start off doing that type of stuff.

If the computers are damaged in a way where you can swap out parts and flip it then it could be worth it. One thing to watch out for is not having enough of a certain part. It could prevent you from getting working machines up and running and leave you with dead computers.

Need to make sure people understand that you work on your schedule not theirs. With this you need to ensure that the work is constant as it could easily dry up without any kind of warning

More than enough for what most people need. The problem with those machines is that the rest of the system is sub par at best. Bad gpus, slow HDD, not enough ram, etc. If you could get those machines upgraded to something that can handle more modern workloads then it could be worth it.

One thing you could do is sell the machines near cost and offer support packages. This is a good option if you can explain technical explanations in layman terms. Keep in mind that some users might be stupid with the computer by doing stuff like installing malware and blame you for the machine being shit.

Like others have said. Many small businesses need websites. They really only want 2 things out of it. Have it look good and have good uptime. If you can manage both of those then there is alot of money to be made.

Again make sure people know that you work on your schedule. This is the key to making sure you dont have too much work and having a flexible schedule.

This will do nothing. The problems will just get worse and youll be worse off then before. It never blows over and you should never expect it too. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

depends on the work they need done

Then you need to find a different job. Your employer will either find someone who can fill in the crazy schedules or they wont be left with employees. Either way your out while your ahead

Then it might be time to leave the family behind or at the very least move out. I know the whole “Never leave your family” bullshit but if its making your life terrible then get away from it all

If your the one paying the bills then put your foot down about what you are and are not going todo. They will either have to pick up the slack themselves or come to a understanding with you. You shouldnt be the one providing them with a roof over their head and living by their rules

4 Likes

Theres a maker studio about 15 miles from my house I can make it happen I think.

I don’t think I ever sent you that coding resource. http://www.itinthed.com/learn/
I use careeracademy. Pretty cheap, considering.

Gonna be a bit of an asshole here, but long term you’re going to have to leave that area if you want anything to do with IT in any sense. I would keep that in the back of your mind, because you will otherwise be wrapped up in things there forever. You know which side of the state has IT, and its not over there.
You can literally find 100s of entry level positions over here doing whatever from support to coding to fucking entering data into an excel sheet.
I don’t have a degree and I’m basically an IT director. My buddy was a fucking music major and does database management at IBM. I think you’re limiting yourself by thinking small. That’s just my opinion.
Honestly looking back fast food and food stuff in general is the hardest I’ve worked and least enjoyable- well, maybe outside of answering phones as a level 1 at a MSP.

You should be looking at the industry you wanna be in- which I’m gonna assume involves a computer.
I’d say in my experience, do what you can for a while but get yourself more time in front of a computer for work, if that’s what you wanna do. You can make it relevant on a resume. But you aren’t going to get there working fast food or machine shops. Personal experience is a plus, but not nearly as viable.

Also repairs and resale aren’t quite as profitable as you’d think. I’m not sure if you’ve sold that stuff we traded, but it’s not exactly a huge market, and the margins are rather small- and well, not nearly as stable of income. I also say that any freelance work is better suited, again, to my area over yours. Just saying, you will likely eat up your demand (or have very little) out there as opposed to here.

In any case, find a way to pay your bills and focus on leaving. That’s the best I can say.

1 Like

Its a good opinion because Ishare it.

Prison security guards make good money. Better then a regular security guard.

See if you could work at a school doing IT work. I swore a while a go you said you did that in high school. You would get great pay and work half the year.

Also if you see any schools in your area that are planning a one to one program, you could help them roll that out. All it would entail is figuring out what devices to give to students and wether or not the network could handle activity, as well as training the students and staff how to use and care for the computers.

Also now that I got my foot in the door. What year MacBooks are we talking about?

2009-2012

I’ll keep the schools thing in mind.
Vwhats 1:1?

1 Like

1:1 means every student gets a laptop or tablet to work on. It’s becoming a thing now. Kids these days have it easy.

My old high school recently gave everyone iPads to work on, my old middle school gave everyone chrome books.

1 Like

Will look into it. Either way I’m quitting this weekI think.

1 Like

It’s easier to find a (new) job when you already have a job.

4 Likes

Its easy for me to make money where I live that rule that everyone lords over me seems to be outdated at this point.

Usually in this forum I never suggest a trucking career cause everyone is in IT or have more education.
Companies that deliver to Subway and Farms are always looking for people cause most truck drivers want to be unloaded rather then work up a sweat.
If the truck delivering is a day cab chances are your home every night.
One company I worked at had a program that took anyone in the warehouse, sent them to driving school. No one would take advantage of it.
First time I delivered to a Tack Shop I expected to find a store selling tacks.

2 Likes

its really not a bad way to go unless you have a woman or kids.

1 Like

My father just saw on the internet today that truckers are getting a pay raise or something like that.

2 Likes