I need some 40" 4K monitor recommendations

Yes, but you are still limited by the less capable device. In this case he wont be able to do 4K at 60Hz

Alright, TVs are off the table then, since a new GPU definitely isn’t feasible right now (not to mention, I probably couldn’t afford one anyway).
Also, while I could probably get an objectively better monitor if I went for QHD at a smaller size, I am just really sold on the 4K 40" form factor. Recently, I’ve been (sort of) forced to use a 40" HD TV as a monitor and while the display isn’t great, I don’t want to go back to anything smaller (and I have never been a huge fan of ultra-wide monitors).

Currently my favorite option would probably be the Philips P-line 439P1

Thank you for your input!
I will probably avoid that monitor, but just out of curiosity, how is it for gaming? (specifically latency-wise)

That gives me a lot of hope! As I said in another comment, I’ve been looking at the Philips P-line 439P1 but since it’s also got a VA panel, I’m afraid it will also have a BGR layout (although, I can find no infos on the actual subpixel-layout). But I guess there’s a chance, it may still be good for text.
Overall I am honestly very tempted by the Aorus, but 1000€ is pretty much double of what I was initially planning to spend and it’s 200-300€ more than the Philips. I will probably keep the Aorus in mind as a last resort…

For whatever it may be worth, I have a decently old Iiyama monitor. A 27" prolite X273HSU or something along those lines. Is getting on for probably 8 years. VA panel, its is still my main video watching monitor, colour were fine, not the brightest, not washed out, not sure about accuracy but always looked fine to me, nothing glaringly bad, no frills simple monitor.

I am also sort of on a long term look for a monitor. I have plenty of small and 1080p, I would love a 40/4k or maybe a nice ultra wide but either of those needs a new GPU first…

I feel you. I could really use a new GPU as well (mine probably won’t run too many games at 4K, but thats fine), but that’s really not possible for now. So I’m just gonna buy a new monitor now and that will probably outlive my next GPU as well.

1 Like

I’ve got a little public service announcement, for anyone interested in this thread or in this type of monitor:
iiyama has a new model called the G-Master G4380UHSU-B1. At this point, I’m strongly considering it, because it’s just a bit more expensive than the Philips monitor, but it has a great Freesync range. The only slight concern I have is the VA panel and its potential BGR subpixel layout, but obviously thats not an issue on all VA panels.

It honestly seems too good to be true at this price point, so if anyone finds anything wrong with this monitor, please let me know (other thoughts on it are obviously also welcome).

FYI anyone struggling with BGR layout and willing to spend what it costs for a 40"+ monitor - buy a vesa mount arm, flip the monitor and flip the picture - voila - RGB layout

Apparently I missed a notification, I am so sorry.
It’s fine as far as I can tell. Back to back on this and an acer 144Hz display I have, I can see the change in refresh rate but I don’t feel a latency change really.

Having bought ~40" TVs and monitors I am never buying another TV again. The quality of monitors is way higher for a given price point, and you tend to get features that are in much more expensive TVs (things like HDR1000 120Hz Freesync), they tend to be compatible with DisplayPort which no TV on the planet (to my knowledge) is, and you don’t get the smart TV malware crap that has infested TVs for the last decade.

I don’t really agree with using them as monitors most of the time, I think ultrawide is generally better if that’s what you’re after because the vertical height of a 16x9 display when you’re that close to it is impractical. I also find the pixel density of 4K to be lacking if you’re that close to it. I find 28" to be the sweet spot of super crisp image quality for 4K at a desk. It depends what you want though: if you’re using a 4K display as a wall of four 1080p monitors, sure you’ll like the bezel-less experience, but if you’re using it for the crisp pixel sharpness you won’t get that by using a 40" display at your desk. From a sofa a couple of metres away though, 40" 4K monitors are phenomenal.

I completely forgot to update this thread and I didn’t get an E-Mail notifications regarding this thread either.
In the mean time I actually bought the iiyama G-Master G4380UHSU-B1 Red Eagle and I have some thoughts.
First of all, regarding @cakeisamadeupdrug I partially agree with you. 40" monitors really are fantastic TVs, that’s probably this particular monitor’s strong point as well. However, I also think this is a fantastic form factor for monitors. I feel like I would miss the vertical screen real estate if I moved to an ultra wide and while the sharpness of a 28" 4K screen is fantastic, it’s really not something I necessarily need.

However this monitor definitely isn’t perfect. The issues mentioned in thread regarding text are real… but not that serious. Text looks perfect for the most part, but there are some scenarios that cause some issues. This won’t cover all those cases, but I think it’s due to certain text colours and text/background combos. For example, my Win10 install uses dark mode with green accents and the green text on the black background can cause some issues (same goes for SOME white texts on black backgrounds but that rarely causes issues and I think most of those could be fixed by tweaking the scaling… but the issues dont really bother me enough to actually do that).

My bigger gripe with this monitor is the quality control, specifically regarding faulty pixels. I have said this before and I’ll say it again: I can’t stand faulty pixels and I especially cannot stand dead pixels. Most monitor manufacturers, iiyama included, seem to think that 1-2 faulty pixels at this resolution and pixel density are acceptable. I personally disagree with that; that is unacceptable regardless of the amount of pixel (at least on a-stock).
I orderd two monitors: the first one was from amazon and it had a bright pixel so I sent it back and the second one was from mindfactory. For the latter monitor, I spent 30€ on a pixel inspection and it still ended up with a dead pixel (this could be due to careless shipping). If I had known that this would be the case, I would have probably saved myself the trouble and kept the first one. The only reason why I didn’t send this one back as well is that I am completely sold on this form factor and this monitor and the Gigabyte Aorus is/was way more expensive. Not to mention, monitors with similar panels will probably still have the same issues and sending it back again would just be a huge hassle.

Overall the pixel issues really aren’t huge either. For the most part, I don’t notice the dead pixel, especially if I am sitting far enough away from the monitor (this obviously does not mean the dead pixel is acceptable; it isnt). But if you have OCD, specifically regarding small-ish faults, I really think this may bother you a lot because it took me some time to get used to it as well.
Other than that, it’s just a good looking monitor. Colours are quite nice, text looks great most of the time, and while I have only played some mario kart on my switch so far, latency seems to be good enough for gaming.
Oh, one more issue: the interal speakers aren’t very good, but the existence of speakers is enough for me personally.

1 Like

It’s the right tool for the right job, right? I have three 27-ish inch monitors arranged horizontally with one TV-ish monitor above them. This is an ultrawide form factor even if it’s not a single ultrawide monitor. What suits my setup won’t suit everyone else’s, and what works for you won’t work for me and vice versa. Options are nice. I don’t think I worded my last post here very well. It’s not that I “disagree” with a monitor format as such, more that it doesn’t suit my use case. If you’re ok with the pixel density of 1080p or 1440p at this size, then getting a big 4K screen makes sense. If you want an incredibly sharp high pixel density media experience, then you want a smaller 4K display, and I fall very much in the latter camp.

One thought I do have as far as vertical space goes is about how comfortable that it to use, though. If I set my 28" down as low as it can go, that’s about as high as is comfortable to view. It’s actually a little bit higher than Health and Safety at work recommendations suggest for using a monitor for prolonged lengths of time. I can’t imagine using a 40" monitor as a monitor on a desk for any length of time without getting aggravated neck ache.

I don’t have any more screen real estate than someone using a 1440p display would, at least not by much. I have my text scaling a little smaller than I would at 1440p because small text is much more legible at high res than the same size text at low res, but it’s not like I have it set that much smaller.

Maybe one day I will have a huge 8K display and have it split into four virtual displays. That will offer what we both want simultaneously and it is probably the only circumstance in which I would ever care about 8K. I would definitely not use all of it at once, though, so… what would be the point lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.