I Need Serious Help- Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Today I decided that I wanted to install Ubuntu Linux. So, I went to the Ubuntu homepage and figured that the install with Windows would be easier. I downloaded and installed linux and everything was going fine until I rebooted. 

Each time I boot up it show the Reboot and Select proper Boot device error or the Windows Boot Manager- please insert windows installation disk and restart comp etc...

Thing is that I never made a backup. Am I screwed or is there a way to fix this? 

First of all, I don't recommend using Windows alongside a linux distribution. I speak from experience, I had obvious problems with setting up booting when using Windows - meaning it wasn't working as it was supposed to.

Secondly, I recommend using a proper linux distribution. Ubuntu uses an old kernel version, and it is filled with bloatware. Sabayon linux is a good choice, it has Steam Big Picture in the default installation. Manjaro is also very user friendly, and both distros are way more up to date than ubuntu.

If you intend to dual boot Ubuntu, here's what I found that I suspect will help you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestoreUbuntu/XP/Vista/7Bootloader

Intall linux on a separate disk. It will automatically detect the Windows partition and append GRUB in that way.

Do not install linux on a disk formatted in any of the stupid and archaic Microsoft filesystems, i.e. FAT and NTFS.