I need help setting up a home server using x99 PC

Ok so I really need to set up a home server and I am brand new this whole concept.

My assumption is that I can use an extra desktop PC as my home sever, set up in a raid 0 configuration running Win 7 pro 64bit.

I have already googled as much as I can on this subject so now I am turning to Level one for some confirmations or rejections to my idea.

So here are the specs for my would be home sever PC:

Mother Board: [ASUS X99-A II LGA 2011- v3
CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16 Gigs (x4 = 64)
OS SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060
ADDITIONAL STORAGE DRIVES: WD Black 6TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive (x 7 = 42 TB)

NETWORK HARDWARE:
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-band Gigabit WiFi
Cat 6 Ethernet cables.

So cant I just go to my would be server PC change it to raid 0 configuration?

Then create a raid 0 volume install windows 7 and connect it to my Net gear router?

What am I missing here?

I will be very surprised, if my assumptions are correct.

Oh god. RAID 0 in production? Someone is ballsy.

Don’t do RAID 0.
Don’t user Windows 7. If you must use windows, use windows server 2016 ce, it should be free.

Ideally, you would run a linux distro that is server oriented; like CentOS/RHEL, SUSE, Ubuntu Server, etc.

Ah but its possible right?

I already have back ups of our footage but I wanted to use raid 0 to access all of our footage at will. I’m not relying on raid 0 as data integrity just purely for a server situation. I might use raid 5 or 10 but I was more interested being able to access a large amount of footage data at will.

Thanks for your feed back. I would not be opposed to learning Linux Distro but I hoped that using windows would be better since our editing computers already use windows 7 already.

If all you want to use it for is data storage then I would heavily recommend FreeNAS, as all you need to do is install it and then pool all the drives together.

1 Like

Ok so I found out what free nas was http://www.freenas.org/

This sounds awesome but would I still need to create a raid volume using the intel controller? Or will free nas supersede it?

well, this is awkward, you have the avatar i used for a long time along with my name, and using same mobo of my current build!, lol, anyways, i read your posts, but you haven’t stated what the purpose of the server is, will you be doing media editing? will it be used to store home movies, pictures and music?, will it be shared with family? it all depends on what you want to use it for…

No, FreeNAS needs full control of the drives. Just pass the drives through the raid controller, the raid card will function as a HBA in this case.

FreeNAS needs full access to the drives because it uses the ZFS filesystem.

1 Like

Haha, remember those cringy but awesome native American wolf t shirts people used to wear in the 90s that’s what I thought of for some reason.

I just want a server for which editors can access a lot of camera footage if they need to. I would like for them to be able to copy the footage they need to there computers on the network and edit that footage. So my server would need to be a film footage server. They don’t necessarily need to stream the footage to their computers but basically use the server as a footage library, from which then can copy over to there editing computers.

The alternative is literately copying footage to there computers for a WD passport drive which sucks and they should be able to delete footage they not using from there editing computers and then grab footage they do need of the server library.

Ok so just basically set my sata controller to raid mode and then let free nas do its thing?

Another question I have is do I need to buy a PCIe raid card, because to my understanding its built into my MOBO. See here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-A_II/E11090_X99-A_II_UM_WEB.pdf Section 4.1

No not really, although it would help you have more drives. Not really any performance gain.

If you are using Freenas, do NOT set your drive controllers to raid mode and do NOT raid your drives. Let the ZFS file system have full access using HBA mode. HBA is host bus adapter, you can get it(normally, google first) by turning off raid. So getting a raid card is detrimental unless you can switch it to HBA mode.

ZFS has stripe(like raid 0), mirror(like raid 1), raidz(like raid 5), raidz2(like raid 6), and combinations of those array types. Info in the link below-
https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html

Ok thanks @TheCakeIsNaOH and thanks @Dynamic_Gravity