I might have broken my motherboard?

So earlier today I tried to add a second GTX 760 to my PC. Exact same model and i made sure my drivers were up to date. everything seemed fine until after I installed the second card. Then I got nothing but the windows error recovery screen. Startup repair wasn't able to help and if I start windows normally it will get to the Starting windows screen then back to error recovery :(.

What I have tried.
- tried using one card in either PCIe slot and tried using only onboard video.

• reset bios settings to default (were already default so couldnt hurt right?)

• cleared CMOS and reset bios

• taken out and reinstalled RAM

• tried looking through advanced settings in bios but no luck.

• tried booting in safe mode.

I'm starting to get really worried that I broke my computer. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds more like a software problem to me. chances are that one of your drivers or your Windows install itself is FUBAR.

Have you tried booting it with a Linux live stick?

2 Likes

I haven't tried that no. I am not very familiar with Linux sorry

Not that hard, all you need is a USB stick of 4GB or greater, a working PC or laptop (to turn the .iso file into a working stick) and a tutorial

You don't need to really DO anything in Linux, if it boots to the desktop there we know it's a software or driver problem rather than a hardware problem.

Ok will try that out and get back to you

Take your time. You'll need to download a linux .iso (Universal Usb Installer does allow you to go directly to Ubuntu's site where you can download one) and that takes some time.

It's 1:30 AM here though, so I probably won't be online for much longer. Still, plenty of US-based people who should be able to walk you through it if needed.

i agree if you have a def mother board you would not be able to load up bios