I know social media can be toxic but:

I have the same thoughts and sorry but social media was nothing but toxic from what I saw in my area for the kids in school here and it caused people to kill themselves. As for banning social media with it being strangled to death by corporations to fit certain agendas it might as well be banned anyway.

No clue who this. Would you like to inform me?

You will find the open world to be really disappointing when you get out. People with different opinions in general will not get along nicely.

1 Like

You don’t think I already know that? That is why I support a revolution in North America. Let us settle things a different way instead of relying on bad politicians here to do it.

Things are not nearly as bad as you think they are.

Back on the topic of social media: How would a ban on SM be put into place? I mean, people can just VPN around country wide online censorship. Are the police going to drag people out of their homes for using the wrong sites? I really don’t like social media, but people have the right do use it if they like. And as much as I don’t like the companies running the social media sites, they are running a legitimate buisness; I don’t think the government has the right to stop that. This seems to be a case of corner cutting via ban. Wouldn’t it make more sense to solve the problems in other ways? Investing in mental health and education?

2 Likes

Probably at a DNS level, so people like me who use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 are not affected in the first place (not that I would care).
The non-computer people get f-ed, everyone else does not care to begin with.

Those two would solve a lot of issues, but don´t show results for 10 years until an education cycle is complete. Most politicians in the EU do not last that long.

3 Likes

Let’s be careful here. We’re getting a bit off topic here.

Remember that the topic is about the UK mulling over a social media ban. Let’s pull the focus back there.

6 Likes

yes please I have totally lost track lol.

So generically speaking I have deleted my facebook that has involved with people I know “in real life” for the most part. Unfortunately I cannot cast away social media altogether because of a hobby that I love and keeps me sane. I play magic the gathering and its all spread via social media for the most part.

I think that social media is warping the reaility around us. Many people have perspective to say “lets turn my phone off and have a one to one conversation” However a lot of people sit around on their phone ignoring each other. Again cant blame anyone especially when your trying to ignore the world around you when its turning to bum damage. However its just casting away the problem.

Seems that this is not just me that feels this way: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/leo-garbutt/social-media-is-changing-the-way-we-think_b_5114137.html

Also it has a negative impact on body image we all know that.

I know this because when I am in work or just out and about I am pretty comfortable with my body image and just say “Im a chunky monkey and I love it!”

But the pressure on teens is immense. I have looked over the sholder of many girls phones and seen them obsessing over calorie apps etc etc. (Not a perv honest!)

This pressure is only amplified by some social media ‘outlets’ snap chats and instagrammos etc. This results in the emptiness I am sure we have all felt when we was not able to achieve our goals in life.

The problem is how to you convey to a child that your dreams may not be obtainable especially ones with body image? Unless you sell your soul so to speak. I do not have kids but I think that sometimes teens wont even listen to anything you have to say until they are on the bones of their asses.

I am also in the camp that banning anything only makes it more alluring. I class social media / content consumption as a kind of drug (that I partake in) and if you take it away (Alex jones) more people will want to try the forbidden fruit (I never even listened to alex jones before now I have, very amuse)

Excuse the bad grammar etc. I did not achieve my dreams.

Interesting for / against tidbit:

Jams that subject back on rails

4 Likes

You perfectly described the reward feeling and the feeling of beeing part of a group.

I hate that.
Happens nearly twice a day.
What makes this behaviour worse is when people say lets meet up and be productive. 30 minutes without their time-waster (aka smartphone) and they start behaving like addicts on withdrawl!
And the moment they get it out, all is lost. I can just pack in my stuff and leave the room. Not one of the smartphone zombies will notice.

3 Likes

Not a fan of it also,

But I will do things like sit there in silence with a silly face and see if people notice, make a game of it. To be honest its hilarious because in our work at the moment there is a massive increase of petty theft. But as soon as someone is walking from the ward/office they have their heads in their phone. Not looking no vigilance, I could probably drop kick anyone and they wouldn’t notice untill they are on the floor in pain / breadded.

My realisation that this problem was bigger then I thought was when I was on a Tinder date (blergh) and the girl I was with had her phone in her face and I kept saying “Are you busy? I can go” and she didn’t get it. When she upped and went to the toilet I bounced. But then I realised “Oh, This is a mess”

Sad thing is sometimes due to the lack of any privacy anywhere in work I am always tempted to reach into my pocket and check out level1techs or something, then I just plop myself in front of the puter’ and be antisocial there. I am a male worker in a female dominated environment. If I have to listen to/ be expected to add to one more love island story I am going to flip my lid. :slight_smile:

That is the thing, people do not realise how rude they are.
A social media ban in my books would lead to an outcry because the addicts get their drug taken away.

In my honest opinion, a ban on social media would not hurt.

2 Likes

It’s pandoras box. Short of going full lockdown and taking all of the devices and networks away, people in general are going to continue doing things that way regarding phone and social media use. It’s extremely disturbing behavior to me.

Other than checking my phone for the time or taking an important call or message, I completely ignore it in the presence of other people. I rarely meet up with people and when I do, I’m not interested in watching them fondle their phone the whole time.

I occasionally see wrestling shows, and being slightly taller than average used to mean I had no issues seeing. Now everyone jams their phones in the air and look at the screen instead of reality, forcing everyone else to either do the same, or look in to other people’s phones to see what is occurring.

This stuff has been going on for a while, even in places you might not think would have that many people using phones that way. It won’t go away without extreme measures, much more than banning a few popular websites. A drug user doesn’t stop using when his dealer gets locked away. People still manage to smuggle drugs into jail to get their fix if need be!

2 Likes

How is social media defined? The distinction is important. Is 4chan social media, is reddit social media, is this forum social media? If a social media ban is just get rid of twitter and facebook, an alternative will appear. All of the people will just go to the next available plaform, minds and gab and so on.

It is very rare that a specific brand gets outlawed.
So in case the UK wants to achieve something with this, they will either mechanisms for content/post removal in place

Alternatively they could ban “short message (less than 255 characters?) broadcasting services with per-user continous post history”, wich would be very specific to social media like facebook and twitter.
Forums like this would not be affected as they are topic-centric and not user-centric.

The world would be a better place if Google and Facebook were banned.

Uh huh… Yeah about that…

At this stage now everything is established and follows their formats sure they could disappear tomorrow and while disruption would be extreme others would quickly fill in.

Say the same thing 10-15 years ago and none of the internet how we use it today would exist.

Hyperbolae is fun and all but that’s just not a correct statement.

What kind of Google stuff (other than marketing which isn’t vital for most people) can we not replace with other offerings immediately?

Might want to re-read it.