I just ordered *32TB worth of HDDs

So I just ordered 24TB worth of HDDs... 3 x 8TB WD My Book 8TB drives that I'm going to pull apart and put in a server. Based on my research they are either WD Reds or HGST Ultrastar drives. I'm really really hoping they are Ultrastar drives because those are $500 enterprise drives and each drive only cost me $230. I'm making this topic so that other people can know what I found out and to get suggestions on how to configure them in my server. I was doing some reading and saw that RAID 5 is generally seen as a bad idea, especially for large drives, and thought I would ask the community for their thoughts. If anyone has questions let me know otherwise I'll post my findings when I get them and pull them apart.

2 Likes

Just bee careful as WD has been Known to make custom Boards without Sata connections for there external drives
But that will be interesting if it good :)

1 Like

I'm aware. I talked to @DeusQain about them and he mentioned it. From the research I have done though they are SATA. Some people have already used them in their systems. If they are USB then it will suck but I can keep that one and return the others. I need the storage either way and I figured others might be interested. As I said though, I'm just hoping I get the HGST version.

I will be interesting, as i need to get more storage for my NAS but that's going to be another project

Same. All the drives I have are either full and have dead Windows installs on them or are crap. Any that are still good need to be sorted through and I don't feel like doing that at the moment. I figure this is a good chance to do that and set up a NAS at the same time. I'm going to have a dedicated 10gbps fiber line between my server and my main rig. Then I'm going to tie the entire thing into the rest of my network over a 1gbps fiber line to my wifi router. Shouldn't have a problem streaming media or storing network files anymore.

LOL but excessive much?
But i can't talk
When i'm looking at getting this

and getting 4 x of these

this will give me an extra 8 drives as i have to remove the existing HBA to install this one

Why would they put a $500 enterprise drive in a $230 consumer external drive enclosure?

Also, why not just buy 3x8TB bare drives? VS risking getting mix matched drives in the My Books

1 Like

Damn it dude! T.T I need to buy that now...

Because it's worth the same $30 in metal that a 500GB drive is? Look it up if you don't believe me. Some of the early units seem to have them. Either way they are hugely discounted which is a huge shaft for people buying the 3.5" but I'm not arguing.

I don't think it supports 8TB drives. might be a firmware update.
as my current HBA doesn't support drives over 2TB but i found a work around :)

Anyway, it's almost 5:00 AM and I have class at 10:50 and need to be on the road by 9:30 and I haven't gone to bed yet so today is going to suck. It's gonna be a few days until I get the drives anyway.

I'll look that up later if you don't and I'll let you know. Either way $20-25 isn't too bad.

Can you link where you bought them? I've googled a little and most of the info is a little spotty some people saying Reds in the Duo Books, seeing Greens in the single drive Books, etc.

Edit: just found this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/some-western-digital-my-book-drives-shipping-with-discrete-enterprise-hdd-inside/

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/HGST-Enterprise-He8-HDD-Found-Early-Retail-8TB-WD-My-Book

Looks like early models had hsgt drives in them and speculated to switch to Red drives down the line. Damn could be worth considering when I go to update my Nas.

Quote: " may not end up with He8’s or even Reds for that matter (it is possible that WD will use a de-rated / white label form of the Red in the My Book down the road). It is also entirely possible that the He8 seen here has tweaked firmware making it less NAS / RAID friendly (TLER disabled)"

Really interested to see what you find in yours

Wish i could get them not worth it here

I'll be more than happy to run some programs to test the drives if people suggest them.

Ouch... What BS. I would say I'd send them to you but I doubt that would change import at all.

Anyone got some test suggestions or questions?

5 Likes

Wow! Nice deal. :D

whats the model number?

I took a picture of the front of the drive bro... WD80EZZX.

1 Like

1 Like