I just installed Ubuntu. What do?

17.04 will use Gnome by default, so switching De’s is pointless now. If you like Gnome, use 17.04, if not, stay with 16.

Get comfortable with the command line, these videos are a good series,

He covers a wide range of other topics, too.

2 Likes

Use Etcher on linux, its really well polished and easier to make bootable usb’s in linux this way.

1 Like

I use etcher as well, works like a charm an looks beautiful. Goes to see if they have a gtk option

Learn sysadmin.
Learn accounting.
Get some books, and movies.
Learn networking.
Learn programming.
Learn photography.
Learn 3d modeling.
Learn electronics.
Learn CNC.
Learn robotics.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to install the internet

1 Like

i never recommend DD to a new user.
this is because 1 typo will cause DD to revert to its alternate name (data destroyer)
without any warning .

2 Likes

17.04 is still unity.

17.10 is “gnome” but not really. It still uses many many parts from unity. Which is why Ubuntu Gnome is still relevant.

2 Likes

I thought 17.10 has an option for vanilla gnome or Ubuntu tweaked gnome? Or is that gonna be in 18.04?

Use YUMI instead. You can put as many distros on one USB as your drive can possibly fit, Including windows. It will make your life easier when something inevitably goes wrong, either due to human error or otherwise. It literally turns one USB drive into a multitool for computing.

I haven’t heard but that would be excellent. I tried the beta and it was tweaked unity/gnome.

I’ll ask the obvious, what do you want to do?

I love gaming. Its what I do a lot. Writing, drawing, research, coding, video editing…

I dunno. Try what you do in windows in linux and see what you find! Maybe you’ll like the workflow better.

Heres what I suggest. Pop open whatever install utility you have, synaptec?, and install some other DE’s like gnome, KDE, mate, and XFCE. Play around with interfaces. Thats what I like to do :3

1 Like

Above posts have pretty much covered everything I did my first week of switching to Ubuntu, though I put my Windows installation in a VM instead of multiboot.

Recently installed Recoll and have been marvelling at being able to search documents with a GUI and actually finding things (as apposed to Winderp 10, which simply drools in it’s soup when asked to find something). Also got RetroPie running for some olde-timey gaming.

2 Likes

I just moved to Linux Mint on my main desktop. In preparation for booting my windows drive into a virtual machine under Linux, I’ve been messing with dd and things to make a disk image of the windows drive so that I can restore it if anything turns pear-shaped when I’m running the VM.

It looks like you’re just starting out with basic computing, so my suggestion to you is that if you run into things that you figure you would like to see automated or put on a schedule, use the tools that Linux provides you to do it! Experiment with crontabs and bash scripting.

Linux is different to windows in that it puts your thumb right on the pulse of the hardware underneath if you tell it to and allows you to do things (with absolutely no holds barred) that would only happen in Apple and Microsoft’s most horrifying nightmares. If you go into Linux with the expectation that things will work and feel exactly like Windows, you’ll be disappointed. If you go in with a mindset that you’re open to a new, perhaps quite different way of doing things, you’ll go far. It doesn’t hold your hand though. If something goes wrong, it’ll tell you straight up, and it’s up to you to find out what the problem is and to make it go away.

@Spacejamflam , @KemoKa73

Participate or perish, you are now part of the machine.

1 Like

I would say, just install media codecs, and other software you might need.
And enjoy using it.
There really isnt that much else too it.
You could do allot of cool and geeky things with Linux.
But in the end, its just an operating system that runs the programms you need.
its cool to learn abit about Linux basics, terminology and file systems and such.
And for the rest it really depends on what you specificlly need.
You could make using Linux as complicated as you want it to be.

ftfy bruh

What do you want to do with it (@Spacejamflam) ? I don’t bother to tweak anymore.

Also ubuntu already dumped unity for gnome so you might as well dump it.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/17.04/release/

Then recompile your kernel to pimp you sh*t

It’s really hard to tell you exaclty what to do. My suggestion is to start using it as your daily driver, make yourself at home with it like you are on Windows. Install all the programs you need, personalize it, install themes, icon packs, DEs until you’re happy.

2 Likes