I Just Got Hacked, Too

So I'm not the first in this forum to whine, and I certainly won't be the last. Somebody just found out my LastPass master password. So that's priority number fucking one. I have been violated in the highest degree. Here's the rundown:

-Play CSGO
    -Get kicked off CSGO, Steam says my account has been logged in elsewhere
    -WTF? That's wrong
    -Get a steam guard email on my phone, go to check it on my PC, it isn't there
    -Look at it on my phone, says it's been deleted
    -Somebody must have my email password
    -Steam mobile app is shit as always, I never got my 2FA notification
    -Guy has my email and Steam accounts
    -Panic
    -None of my passwords have been changed
    -Look back at Steam client
    -My knife is gone, but nothing else
    -Scramble to change all my passwords
    -Have done Steam, Email, LastPass so far
    -Really pissed

TL;DR Somebody figured out my password, stole a stupid virtual knife.

So does anybody have any advice for me? Do I tell Valve? Beg GabeN for a new knife? LOL.

What do I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm not so concerned about the knife, moreso the security concerns.

Thanks in advance guys.

Were you using two-factor authentication on LastPass?
How complex was your LastPass master password?
Were you using the same password for multiple things?

1 Like

I thought I was, but it turns out I never set it up. LastPass gave it a score of 92%. It had capital letters, lowercase, numbers, and a symbol.

1 Like

Absolutely what @Ceres said. Get two factor auth on there. Get it on steam as well. Get it on everything that supports it, you have no reason not to.

Your master password needs to be unique and strong, make sure its not the same as any others.

Change all your passwords.

1 Like

That's interesting.

Are you sure the asshole got into your LastPass account?

I follow these rules for password security and none of my accounts have ever been compromised (as far as I know). I've read a lot about password security, but I don't know if these are all necessary or if I left anything important out, so I hope someone with more expertise chimes in.
-Use a password manager (I use LastPass too)
-Have an extremely complex master password (mine is 20+ characters and includes capitals, numbers, and symbols)
-Change your master password occasionally (I change mine once a month, which is probably overkill)
-Use unique, long, and complex passwords for each site and change them occasionally
-Don't write any of your passwords down anywhere (on your computer or on paper)
-Use two-factor authentication for LastPass
-Never login to LastPass on a public computer or another person's computer

Yeah.... check your running processes.
use command "control folders" from run and enable show hidden files and folders.
Go to msconfig, check startup services and startup programs.

In regedit go to hklm / hkcu software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run ( and also \runonce ). Look for cryptic guid keys, names that don't seem familiar and google them.

Also HKU, your user id profile is located in hklm:\software\microsoft\windows NT\curretversion\profile list\ your user name will be in one of the keys somewhere with the last 4 digits being your HKU profile (if you have multiple user profiles on a computer)

Clear out your %temp% folder. Go to %appdata% and browse local /locallow and roaming. Look for any out of place folders and start deleting.

Delete anything you see out of place within file explorer also. C:\program files\ and the (x86). Backup your users folder, go to sysdm.cpl and delete your user profile and make a new one.

Make sure you are disconnected from the network and run a malwarebytes scan or something. If nothing shows up then you probably have a rootkit and I recommend you just wipe your system and start over.
If that's not an option, do a system restore to the earliest point and follow the directions above.

It's possible you have something that is FUD and possibly a rootkit, meaning you will have a hard time getting it off your system.