I just did my first free lance work to fix someones PC. How low I am on the tech totem pole?

I just did my first free lance work to fix someones PC. How low I am on the tech totem pole?

My background is being a “server admin” for a super small family owned ministry. All I did was build there media editing computers and manage and back up their data. I also set up a raid 0 for them, so they can have a large amount of footage files accessible at any give time.

NO don’t worry I am not using raid 0 as a back up!

I also edit some of their media projects. I’m an assistant editor.

Well just recently a friend of the family asked me if I could fix an issue he was having with a business program on his computer. Anyway I fixed in like 4 hours and it felt good to fix something for someone that they really needed to fixed for their work flow. AND to quote Bob Ross “I made a happy buck off it”

I don’t have any certifications in anything but I think I want to get serious about all this. I think I should peruse some certifications in server administration. My local community college is offering some classes on it.

Do you have any idea where I should start? I am 31 now. As of right now I would call my self and assistant editor that is also good at computers. But maybe I am under cutting myself and I know more than the average person if any thing I know i have a strong work ethic.

If you answer anything, oh great Chiefs, please tell where I am on the tech totem pole or am I even on it?

Thanks!

I thinking, if you already have a stable job with opportunities for promotions… You dont have to live the indian life and assess your rank in the tech totem pole just to be an enthusiast.

2 Likes