I jimmy rigged the hell out of a kids electric scooter. It's now 2 wheel drive

TLDR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-MZ_iCr3t0

So I make videos every now and then on tech stuff, I’ve always enjoyed it. I was browsing Walmart for a new product review. I usually just buy something and then return it. I couldn’t find anything interesting besides a camouflage HP laptop where I thought about bench marking hunting games and getting super stereotypical about it. Then I spotted this 80 dollar electric scooter. The weight limit is 120 pounds, I’m 145.

So I get this thing out of the box and try it out and I realize that it’s too safe for me. It won’t let you even kick in the motor unless you’re going 3 miles an hour, then if you’re going too slow or the motor is working too hard it will break a fuse or something where you’ll have to press a button to reset it.

So without having any kind of electric background, I jimmy rigged a bunch of stuff and eventually got the battery directly wired to the motor using the power switch. It worked pretty good and I was shocked on how much quicker it was.

Then I saw another electric scooter at the store for 90 bucks that was a razor. Even cooler the back motor is a hub motor. So I cut off the metal holding the hub motor, welded it on the front of the scooter, added the battery in and directly wired it to a light switch. The worse part is that we welded the motor on backwards somehow. So I had to run the positive and negative cables in reverse.

After some short testing I saw that the front motor was arching and smelled toasty. I’ve been ignoring it and it still runs great.

lololol

lol

8 Likes

“I like how it has no brakes”

Brakes are for pussies. LOL!

I saw something similar where a guy got his kid a battery powered Barbie’s Cadillac Escalade. It was very slow, so dear old Dad replaced the motor and battery with units that were so fast his kid could no longer drive it. The Dad was drifting in it until he shredded the plastic tires and had to get stronger ones.

4 Likes

Those power wheels are hilarious. I’ve watched a view of those videos and is it sad to say that I wouldn’t mind having one myself? haha

This wrestles my jimmies.

1 Like

Nice!

If I were you, I would still be planning electronics instead of having fun :smiley:

1 Like

Just get a Miata. RWD, slow as hell, fits in the bed of a ram 2500, what more could you want?

1 Like

I will! There’s going to be a complete rehaul soon. I hate speghetti cabling haha.

Hopefully upgrade some batteries and test range as well.

1 Like

Was saving for a Miata, then I realized that paying off my debt and going to school was more important hahaha

1 Like

Oh, that’s absolutely more important. :smiley:

For your next video, use a lawn mower motor or something bigger lol. Good start.

put some socks on heathen.