I Have Reconsidered My Adblocking Options, But There's Still A Problem (Updated 12-03-2020)

I am aware of them. The statement below implies that edge is not chromium based, but it actually is. That is what I was replying to.

Either way, I feel like I’m going in circles & possibly asking the wrong people. :roll_eyes:

Cake is one of the few people I trust advice from. Dude knows his stuff.

1 Like

Hmm. In terms of getting help, you might want to make sure you are making good bug reports. This is a decent write-up, and the principles apply to any type of bug report or support request:

For example, writing a good title:

• <specific feature> giving <error> when <some conndition> is happens = good tile
  • <specific feature> is broken = meh title
  • <overall software name> is broken = bad title
  • I have a problem… = really bad title
1 Like

You don’t need to build your own adblocker. There are already lots of adblockers. The DNS and Proxy stuff, you don’t need to code anything, just need something like a Raspberry Pi (even the first generation) and run something like Pi-Hole or NoTrack, then manually change your DNS on your devices to your Pi. Those are not hard to do, however, they aren’t really a mobile solution (unless you use a VPN to your home, which can also run on the Pi, wireguard is the easiest thing in the world).

Adblockers take a lot of work to be maintained, the lists of ad websites change constantly, which is why I am a proponent of default deny policies of NoScript and uMatrix. You don’t really need them together, but the former is a script and cross-site scripting (xss) blocker, the later is a domain blocker. NoScript connects to the domains, but blocks scripts, while uMatrix is like a firewall and blocks any connection to the domains.

If nothing else, you could try uMatrix alone in your browser. It has an ok default of only running local website media and anything remote it blocks and you have to unlock. It takes 2 or 3 days of usage to get used to it, but once all your websites are in place, you don’t have to worry anymore.